Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: aphids??  (Read 3726 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
aphids??
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:07:02 pm »
does anyone else have any rose aphids in their greenhouse yet? i have spotted and killed a few already.
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

miniaturesabound

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: aphids??
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:50:07 am »
I have them on my sprouting broccoli and that's outside!
"A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse walks in front of you, but a noble friend walks beside you"

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:04:38 am »
not just me then? i am killing what i see but there are always more than you see!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:08:44 pm »
does anyone else have any rose aphids in their greenhouse yet? i have spotted and killed a few already.
Had a few and a few white fly in mine , so I put in one of the yellow sticky card traps and they have all but disappeared . After three weeks the card is a veritable zoo of different dead flies & creepie crawlies .
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:10:51 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

miniaturesabound

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:30:33 am »
I think I'd be worried that 'good' insects got trapped on a sticky card. Having said that, I always thought ladybirds were good insects to have around but I'm not so sure now - millions of them around and still have aphids!
"A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse walks in front of you, but a noble friend walks beside you"

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:30:03 am »
I think I'd be worried that 'good' insects got trapped on a sticky card. Having said that, I always thought ladybirds were good insects to have around but I'm not so sure now - millions of them around and still have aphids!

it's the lava from ladybirds that kill aphids.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS