Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grazon 90 versus Rushes  (Read 25096 times)

Advertisement

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
Grazon 90 versus Rushes
« on: May 08, 2012, 03:12:24 pm »
My main question is does it work with rushes or is it a bit slower reacting?
I sprayed Docks and Rushes on Friday night - the Docks have wilted badly and obviously showing a reaction - however the Rushes don't look troubled at all ( or maybe just ever so slightly saggy??)

Does anyone have any views?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Grazon 90 versus Rushes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:34:15 pm »
We sprayed rushes last year with MCPA - we had to spray just as the flowers were coming out, otherwise the chemical just slides off the rush. I think it was about July. We were told timing was critical. It seems to have been pretty successful with not much showing this year.

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question though.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 03:49:02 pm »
I don't think Grazon touches rushes; rushes are related to grass, aren't they?  Grazon doesn't harm grasses but kills nettles, thistles and well, pretty much anything except members of the grass family.

(Apols for being too lazy to look it all up and use the correct botanical terms - someone who has these at their fingertips please feel free to interject! :D)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:58:39 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:44:23 am »
For rushes you need a weedkiller with 2,4D in its composition - such as Depitox, Headland etc.

This will also take care of ragwort etc.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »
i have a bracken problem in small areas, i have cut and pulled it but still comes back.Ihave looked at several web sites about what weedkiller to use.most say use roundup probiactive360 (glyphosate) but this will kill grass aswell. Can any one tell me if Grazon90 will cure deep rooted bracken,and what are the grazing restrictions with these weedkillers.  THANKS

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:04:19 pm »
We were told that reeds had to be cut, so that you got back 'fresh growth' and then weed-wiped with something pretty deadly to all plant life - the weed wiping made sure it didn't kill the grass.

Can someone tell me if Grazon 90 or Pastor is really poisonous to goats for 6 months?

Clearly I don't want to hurt my goats. But I do want to finish off the dockens in their paddock. All I'm getting from the 'never use chemicals, you're damaging the environment' brigade is that I'll kill my goats too. What I want are the facts, so I can make my own decisions.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 10:33:18 pm »
i have a bracken problem in small areas, i have cut and pulled it but still comes back.Ihave looked at several web sites about what weedkiller to use.most say use roundup probiactive360 (glyphosate) but this will kill grass aswell. Can any one tell me if Grazon90 will cure deep rooted bracken,and what are the grazing restrictions with these weedkillers.  THANKS

In grassland for woody weeds (eg brambles) and for Japanese knotweed then use Kaskara (Broadshot), as grazon 90 will not touch the woody weeds

We were told that reeds had to be cut, so that you got back 'fresh growth' and then weed-wiped with something pretty deadly to all plant life - the weed wiping made sure it didn't kill the grass.

Can someone tell me if Grazon 90 or Pastor is really poisonous to goats for 6 months?

Clearly I don't want to hurt my goats. But I do want to finish off the dockens in their paddock. All I'm getting from the 'never use chemicals, you're damaging the environment' brigade is that I'll kill my goats too. What I want are the facts, so I can make my own decisions.

Reeds are difficult to get rid of - are you sure they are not rushes? if so then use Depitox. Both Grazon 90 and Pastor can be grazed after the weeds have wilted and become unpalitable - usually after a minimum of 14 days.

If anyone has a specific weedkiller question then please contact us via our site and i will get the information from our advisor at Nomix - usually the same day.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:36:59 pm »
jaykay, I've emailed you the product label for Grazon-90.  Sorry I can't remember where I downloaded it from now, or I'd post the link.

I know nothing whatever about its effect on goats specifically but have always understood that livestock can go back on after 2 weeks.  The issue I rant on about is its persistence, in that the active chemicals will still kill non-monocots after hay or silage is made, eaten and passed through the digestive system of a herbivore.  Not a problem if all your FYM ends up only on pasture - the persistence is then very useful!, continuing to kill dockins, nettles, etc - but very much a problem if you or anyone else uses your FYM on the veg patch or a non-grass crop, or if your hay ends up fed to horses whose dung is used on the roses or veg.

It's also evil to all aquatic life, so the label gives guidance about its use near watercourses or where the land drains through to watercourses.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 11:00:34 pm »
Hmmm - my entire holding is a watercourse  :P

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 11:03:48 pm »
jaykay, I've emailed you the product label for Grazon-90.  Sorry I can't remember where I downloaded it from now, or I'd post the link.

http://www.dowagro.com/uk/products/prod/grazon90.htm
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 06:59:42 am »
Thank you  :thumbsup:

Toby, the other thing that works with seaves is just keep cutting/ grazing them hard. Takes years mind you  :-\

I think we're into that rushes/reeds conversation again. I'm talking about Juncus, which round here we call seaves and in places are called reshes. Are you?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:01:47 am by jaykay »

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 12:22:57 pm »
I agree with Jaykay, keep cutting or grazing them, also, they don't seem to like lime. We had a huge problem with rushes but after a sprinkling of lime and three years grazing, they've all but gone.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 09:49:39 am »
is this an ok time of year to use grazon for docks?  and i see that you need to keep livestock off it for 2 weks...our ducks wander through the field i want to treat- will this be a problem does anyone think?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 12:23:50 pm »
According to the environmental info sheet, "No risk management necessary to protect wild mammals and birds. GRAZON 90 has a moderate toxicity to mammals and birds. The risk to wild mammals and birds feeding on treated area is low."

Small Farmer posted a link to the product info page earlier in this thread:
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=23787.msg242125#msg242125

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:37:07 pm »
According to the environmental info sheet, "No risk management necessary to protect wild mammals and birds. GRAZON 90 has a moderate toxicity to mammals and birds. The risk to wild mammals and birds feeding on treated area is low."

Small Farmer posted a link to the product info page earlier in this thread:
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=23787.msg242125#msg242125

thanks sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS