Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BC puppies and sheep  (Read 2266 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
BC puppies and sheep
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:53:34 am »
I have been taking our pup for walks (on the lead) while I do my field inspections, should I keep him away all together and if so till when?  The Shetlands are ok, bit inquisitive, but respectful. The GfD's, less so but I pick him up or move away before he gets threatened by them (they are very good at headbutting). Trying to get a balance where he knows what a sheep is and is interested but not getting frightened or over keen/aggressive.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: BC puppies and sheep
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:54:34 pm »
I'm not sure I'd be picking him up - could be transmitting the wrong signals.  Best not to take him amongst sheep that could harm / frighten him, I'd say.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:14:06 am »
Rascal ran a mile when i brought home the 2 lambs, now he is fine with them. I just let him come with me every time i fed them. He was the same with the ponies. Very scared, as I was picking up droppings in the field he would stay behind the gate but over time he would edge in always keeping an eye on the colts to see if they were coming in his direction. Now he enjoys being in the field with me, he is 8 months.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:30:27 am »
I spoke to the breeder who said if in doubt keep him away but did say she took her puppy out as she trains her dogs to leave sheep and only work them when told to (and not automatically sheep are always for working). She was more concerned that is he was over interested, aggressive or did anything I didn't want him to do that and then I tried to stop that behaviour. That would be mixed messages and be counteractive to when we did start training on sheep. To be honest he's pretty good around sheep, its the pigs where I am having to do some assertive 'no's' and growls ::).
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS