Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weeding!!  (Read 7776 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
weeding!!
« on: April 16, 2009, 12:06:35 pm »
i've got an area of garden that was reserved for non-veg gardening. the deal was i would look after the veg and the rest of the garden and Mrs SB would look after this bit.

it's mostly lawn but has a border around it. She loves cutting the grass, so that ain't a problem, but she hasn't touched the weeding. I did it in November - with the intention she could look after it and put new plants in during the spring - but she's not done it and the weeds are through with some venom!!

Lidls is having one of it's "Specials" and theres a few bits and pieces of gardening kit in there - one of them is a weed burner

I was wondering if these are any good as it might be helpful to clear the site up before getting into the weeding proper.

or should i just spray the round-up over them all?

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: weeding!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:45:16 pm »
weed burning is good if your organic but not sure how good it is on weeds like dandelion with long 'tap' roots

Linz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 05:26:11 pm »
So what do I do with the dandelions that abound in my grass and gravel?  Will roundup get rid?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:36:37 pm »
i like dandelions and don't consider them a weed  :P

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:51:57 pm »
So what do I do with the dandelions that abound in my grass and gravel?  Will roundup get rid?

good old digging all the way to the bottom of the weed

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:24:23 pm »
C'mon!!!  I'm 65 - I ain't diggin nuttin!  Too many of em anyways
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:06:45 pm »
Hi
just googled 'how to kill dandelions' and found this-worth a try if you don't want to use roundup- hubby has just suggested making a coffee substitute out of the root...don't ask! you'd still have to dig them up though!  :D

" have had great success killing dandelions (and a few other tender-leafed weeds) with plain white vinegar. I just put it in an old window-cleaner bottle and spray them on a sunny day, I carry a piece of cardboard to 'shield' my perennials. This won't work on all weeds but it's really reduced the number I had to pull as I won't use herbicides."

to read the whole thing-follow the link
 http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/weeds/msg091815108037.html

cheers
Lynne

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:45:53 am »
I will be out with my fish and chips tomorrow!  Thanks for the tip! ;) ;D ;D

BillyC

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 11:32:22 am »
Burning off is expensive and does not do the whole job. Either Roundup before anything gets to seed stage which kills everthing including the roots. Once you rotavate though you need to stay on top of next lot of weeds. If you have time, however you could cover with silage plastic or similar for one season.

Known people to burn off because the top growth is just too much I would prefer to wait until November then cover to save the gas!

Paul

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:34:55 pm »
burning should be done twice, firstly a quick blast with the flame ...just enough to burst water bearing cells and singe any seeds which will then start to germinate. then after about a fortnight give them a good burn. if you got it right the first time they will be brown and dry the second time will be like a heather burn and will clear all the top growth and any seedlings that have sprouted. It won't kill deep rooted plants but will weaken them
Ian

xillent

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 10:11:14 pm »
There is a weed burner that has a spike in the middle that's supposed to be pushed into the tap roots to kill them off. You'd need to search though as i already had my burner before seeing it.

I've used one for years. there are still problems though... accidentally burning plants that you want to keep. Also there's the frogs and helpful insects that get killed.

pierre

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Deep in The Trossachs....
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 09:37:52 am »

.... Hi ....

.... as said before .... burning is expensive and not precise ......

.... if you have time cover with black plastic and old carpets for at least 6 months ...

.... if you want to get going .... RoundUp-Pro ... is the way to go .......

.... I know ... I'm a Landscape Gardener ....

.... Cheers ...

.... Pierre ...

rustyme

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 12:23:54 pm »
http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/news/roundup-weed-killer-is-toxic-to-human-cells.-study-intensifies-debate-over-inert-ingredients

maybe worth reading the above link before using roundup !!!!! then make your mind up . Covering with plastic etc, will kill off all top growth , and leave you with a clear surface . But then after you have readied the soil for planting and sowing , along with your expensive veg seeds , millions of weed seeds will pop up , covering them for 6 months doesn't kill them off. You are left with basically three choices , weed killer (roundup etc) if you want poison on your land ? , mulching or manual weeding . The poison route is fine, if ?, you are ok about putting poison on ground, that you intend to grow your food on/in ? Mulching , this works fine as long as you keep up with the mulch . Manual weeding , this is my method ,it is free , always works , doesn't poison , is selective if needed to be and can occupy as much or as little time as you want . This method does depend on how much you are gardening . If you are working an allotment or similar sized plot fine, if you are working 5 acres then hand weeding will take up every minute of the day . You then have to turn to some sort of powered weeding/harrowing , either engine or animal powered.  All three methods are on going ,in as much as new weed seeds will blow in and germinate , or be carried in by birds etc , or even bought in with a mulch ?. I am biased towards my method obviously , but everyone will do things their own way . You pays your money and you takes your choice !!!

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS