Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 2451 times)

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
Advice needed
« on: May 07, 2012, 05:26:26 pm »
I have noticed over the last couple of days that my maran hens beak is slightly off centre and this is only a recent development as she has been fine till now. I can see inside her mouth,quite far up by her throat that there is some type of blockage which looks wet. She is running around fine and as far as I know is continuing to eat and drink as normal, I will have to check on her tonight and take her out of the coop to examine her. If the blockage can be removed will the beak go back to its normal central position? Any advice is really helpful
Cheers

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:53:24 pm »
Is the blockage cream coloured Kier, because it may be Fungal Canker. Flagyl is the treatment, but it takes a long time and is difficult to cure.

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:51:17 pm »
Sorry for the late reply and thanks very much for your advice. I'm afraid to say that I think it was a fungal canker (through google image) and she died this morning. We separated her from the rest and gave her food and water but I nearly culled her last night as she seemed really bad but then she perked up a little,this morning she made no improvements but was asleep, So I waited to see if things would pass naturally and I found her dead about 30 minutes after I last checked on her.
Thanks again for your help

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 05:34:21 pm »
Sorry to hear that Kier. They seem to occur diue to a general run-down condition, so perhaps there was something else seriously wrong? They can riddle the system before they are visible our vet told me and after a month of treatment we had to let ours go. The other one appears fine but may now be suceptable to them. The Polish Poultry keepers feed them chopped onions to keep it at bay, but I wonder if it affects the taste of the eggs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS