Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Owl attacking Hens up tree  (Read 2814 times)

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
Owl attacking Hens up tree
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:28:13 am »
On Saturday i moved the hen house down the woods another 50m, on Saturday night we were having a party and i didn't go out until 10.30 to lock up the hens. The hens for some reason decided not to go into the house - some were gathered round the base of trees and 5 were roosting up a tree.
I happened to look up at them, just as an owl?? swooped down to try and grab one of the hens up the tree? I assumed it was a Barn owl because the underside of the wings looked very pale/white - but it looked much bigger than a barn owl - any ideas?
I managed to get them all away except 2 who wouldn't come out of the tree, but they were down ok by dawn.
I did loose one at some point on Saturday - but was it an owl??

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Owl attacking Hens up tree
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 05:59:35 pm »
Firstly what kind of chickens are they looking for there size. Could be a few types of owl would not think a barn owl would take an adult bird. An  eagle owl is fairly big and would take a chicken  How big was it. Have you moved the chicken house nearer to the owls nest maybe.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:09:51 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:39:42 am »
Big Chicken - They are ISA Browns and RIR and are about 18 weeks old. It certainly looked bigger than a Barn owl. There is no nests in the woods that i keep the hens. We have lost one bird this week, but as there is no feathers around and i had the siting of the owl - the Owl is being blamed for my loss?

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:01:53 pm »
We have chickens roosting in a tree and also have tawny owls.  Never had a problem at all.  What colour was the owl?  Have you heard any owls about?  What was the call like?

Helen

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:44:18 pm »
Helen,
It had light under wings about the same colour as a barn owl, but wingspan looked a lot bigger. We have various owl noises around us mostly hoots and screeching?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:36 pm »
We have many varieties of owls here, but never had a problem with them among my hens ....although if they are feeding chicks, then maybe.  To be honest, hens that size I would not think they would touch.  Last year we kept losing our half grown chicks, and one day found a young buzzard in the lane, having fallen out of a tree.  We then realised the mother had been taking the chicks for her young - easy pickings!!  The little Buzzard we took to the owl sanctuary up the road, for them to care for. 

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:03:47 pm »
Wow, we've had hens roosting in trees for years and never even thought of this one, thought they were perfectly safe up there (certainly better than in a house anyway).  Teradactyl?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 06:29:17 pm »
Check the RSPB website for tawny owls.  That's what we have and they screech at this time of the year. 

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS