Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapse  (Read 3523 times)

Fizaye

• Joined Feb 2012
  • North west uk
Prolapse
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:39:31 am »
I have a first time lamber who when she was lying down had a noticeable protrusion from her vagina. Have now brought her in and fitted a "spoon" and it seems to be keeping it inplace. Just wanted to know if anyone has used these and what is the chance of a successful lambing without everything else coming out.
Please anyone who has any knowledge on this subject let me know what to expect.
Cheers. :dunce:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Prolapse
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:06:57 am »
We use spoons, they work as long as they're correctly positioned and tied in really firmly.  The ewe will lamb through them no bother, but if you spot her starting to lamb, of course you can remove the spoon at that point.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:38:16 am »
Had one like that this year  :-\ :-\.  and I pushed it back in using lots of lube.  I bought spoon and harness but did not use them as It only happened when she was lying down.    I watched her like a hawk through lambing and she was fine.  Lovely mum with twins  :thumbsup: good luck.

Fizaye

• Joined Feb 2012
  • North west uk
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:57:31 am »
Thanks for the responses, it's good to know that it can be possitive result. I am keeping a close eye on her, but no doubt the minuet I go and do some jobs she'll start!! Soooo tired from popping down to see her in the night, wish I had cctv!!   ::)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:07:00 pm »
I have a ewe which has had a slight vaginal prolapse last two years.  Vet said too much hay can cause it which I agree with as this year it didn't happen until I brought her in to lamb which was the first time she had hay this year.  Having said that she was carrying triplets last year!

Also I have been advised that the harnesses can make the prolapse worse as it encourages the ewe to strain. 

HamishMcMurray

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:07:22 pm »
We had one last year. We used a harness rather than a spoon. We helped her during lambing just to be on the safe side and then put the harness back on for a couple of weeks afterwards. She was fine and so are her twin lambs. We wouldn't risk getting her pregnant again in case it happened again.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:40:31 pm »
I had a ewe with a spoon in this year, and she delivered the first lamb no probs on her own, but needed help with the second, even after the spoon came out. Good luck  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS