Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and Udder Things  (Read 7251 times)

littlekatewell

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Scottish Highlands
Goats and Udder Things
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:56:11 am »
OK this is my first actual query having registered yesterday.  Our GG has twins (1 month old).  We initially had some trouble with one of her udders as the kids were not drinking from it and it got very large before we realised.  We are now getting about 1L of milk from her each morning but one udder is very different to the other.  It feels much larger and although after milking her it becomes more flacid there is still some swelling(?) in the upper area of the udder.  Then last week I noticed very small amounts of what I can only assume is blood in her milk.  It is only noticible once the milk has settled in the fridge and when you get to the bottom of the jug there is just a small streak or two.  It may have been there since the beginning and just didn't notice.  Other than that there are no signs of blood or clots when we strip out and check the milk.  She seems healthy in every other respect (perhaps a little thin) but has a good appetite. Does anyone know if there is anything we should do?  Also the swollen udder definately produces more milk so it may just be a size difference and nothing more.  Thanks

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Goats and Udder Things
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:40:04 pm »
Sounds very much like mastitis,but,that's all I can remember from doing 'O' level Agricultural Science at school 22 years ago. I hope someone with more experience (much more) comes along......Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:26:11 pm »
If it was mastitis wouldn't the milk taste sour?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:30:53 pm »
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:25:40 pm »
Blood in the milk generally would signify mastitis, but from what you say it doesn't sound like she has very acute mastitis. Acute mastitis would usually cause clots or little lumps in the milk as well as sometimes blood. It would be an idea to give the vet a call- as Pentre1230 says pencillin or cow tubes (which also have antibiotics in them) would work to clear up mastitis. Are you emptying out that side of her udder? Or are you just taking enough off to make her slack? If she's been kidded a month, and the kids aren't taking the milk that side, then you need to take off all the milk on that side.

Hope she improves!

littlekatewell

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Scottish Highlands
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:47:49 am »
Thanks for the replies.  We are taking all the milk from both sides and the kids are using both sides as well.  As you say if it is mastitis it must be fairly mild as she doesn't mind being milked.....actually she is a very co-operative milker considering it is first time for us and her.  In the first week her udder was very swollen and she hated us trying to milk it out but once the pressure was off she was much happier. 

The milk has no clots that I can see, tastes and smells fine and the blood is only noticible when it has settled, even then it is very small amount.  I think I will get the vet out just to be on the safe side as perhaps if it is a mild infection it is worth treating with some penecillin.  Cheers

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 07:30:30 pm »
Hello
Do not use cow tubes in a goat unless very large orifices...which most GGs dont have....Goats are quite different to cows....I have tubed lots of cows and used to have a top milking herd of goats.

If you have blood in the milk and its settling at the bottom and the goat has kidded this long its not just 'pink milk' from a newly kidded goat. I is possibly sub clinical mastitis which is very common in goats and often responsible for 'goaty' tasting milk if not cleared up.

I personally would speak to the vet about special antibiotic for mastitis....cannot remember which one it is....rather than using a general antibiotic.

Also try using udder mint or golden udder to rub in after milking.....kids are old enough not to be put off by it

Make sure the whole udder is 'stripped' once every 24 hours.....massage and milk massage and milk until nothing else can be drawn off.

Are you milking gently and correctly for a goat which is a different tecnique than for a cow....are you sure it is not poor milking practice that is causing the problem?

Do ask if you need more help
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:04:35 pm »
It is perfectly possible to use cow tubes on goats, we have done it many times. Unless the goat has very small orifices, which any first kidder might have.

What did the vet say littlekatewell? Any improvement?

Beth

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 11:16:02 pm »
It is perfectly possible to use cow tubes on goats, we have done it many times. Unless the goat has very small orifices, which any first kidder might have.

Exactly......its the small orifices.....and ggs and first kidders often have them  ::) 
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

littlekatewell

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Scottish Highlands
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 02:19:06 pm »
Hi,

We started giving her Garlic just after my last post.  Within a few days the problem had cleared up.  We are not noticing any blood in the milk at all now.  One of her udders is still much larger than the other though.  So it mayhave been a very mild case of mastitis.

Amazing that she actually liked the garlic!

Thanks

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 10:28:04 pm »
They know what is good for them, and what will cure them.  Another time she may turn her nose up at garlic!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS