Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducks - Keeping their drinking water clean  (Read 9108 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Ducks - Keeping their drinking water clean
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:28:22 pm »
No matter what I do I can't seem to keep fresh clean water in the ducks bowls.  I have four ducks and they have three metal dog bowls filled each morning with clean water.  Within about 10 seconds it is filthy again, and if I leave them they end up just full of mud.  I have tried these plastic drinkers and they are exactly the same.  At the moment the duck run is just earthen with some type 1 hardcore to prevent it getting too slippy, but I need to put some other ground cover in there - suggestions are sharp sand and wood chips/bark.  Should I worry about it or just fill the bowls when I see them getting bad.  If I'm out for the day they would just have to stay that way anyway.  Any thoughts?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Ducks - Keeping their drinking water clean
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:17:08 am »
From experience you will never keep the water clean. I have a drink through thing that releases the water as required, a big metal thing and even this gets filthy 2 minutes after cleaning.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 03:45:01 pm »
I was going to say impossible.  Ours have a very large pond, they still come and bathe in the chickens water.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 04:50:27 pm »
My gang of ducks came out of their pen this morning and had great fun exploring. They enjoyed the experience for about 10 minutes before the geese noticed the invasion of "their" territory. They came chasing up the garden and rounded the ducks up and hissed them back into their run. It was funny to watch but the poor ducks had enjoyed their jaunt, the geese are so evil. I have no idea how the geese even knew the ducks were out as they were no where to be seen when I looked for them.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:24:39 pm »
I really must come up soon and see this menagerie of yours, James.  Sounds great fun.  Might come up with Sandy when ducks hatch out.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 05:35:04 pm »
You are welcome any time Annie, they do bring us many hours of pleasure. Now the 2 baby Toggenburgs are here our hands are really full as they still get bottle fed 3 times a day. They are a beautiful pair and have settled in brilliantly and they love human contact. I could probably sit and just watch these animals all day - oh if only!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 09:47:48 pm »
Part of the problem is that ducks will 'wash' their food to take mud off it. they also like to dip their beaks to clear any soil from their nostrils. You could hang the water drinker so they can only get their beaks in but you must also provide a wash pool be it a dog bowl or pond
Ian

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:48:54 am »
They used to get to free range and go into the burn, but it's been polluted on and off since July so only getting out occasionally at the moment after a heavy rainfall. As soon as SEPA pull the finger out and plug the leakage with it they will be able to drink and swim in clean fresh running water. >:(

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 09:53:39 pm »
i feed mine the same as my chickens a layers crumble and noticed anytime the ducks took a couple of gobbles the are straight into the water bowl to wash it down leaving the water manky in minutes. thought they got so thursty was because of the crumble. they have other water sources so not too worried. id say they would survive on the water left out that morning til it was changed that evening or latest next morning.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 12:08:43 am »
Same problem here, Annie. Mine get 5 large bowls with clean drinking water every morning and the paddling pool rinsed and refilled every 3rd day. It lasts about 1 hour! I also noticed that the bowls started smelling although I rinsed them each day. The ducks must excrete something when cleaning their bills that sticks to the bowls, so it's brushing them every few days, too! :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 11:59:00 pm »
Mine come out pretty clean from the dishwasher ;)  That gunge you speak of Kirsten comes off then ;D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 08:22:41 pm »
I'm the dishwasher, lol! :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 12:00:18 am »
 :-[

sandy

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 09:28:50 pm »
Just got to put up the BIG shed and make it cosy for the Ducks and some more chickens and been thinking about the drinking water, I have a hose that I can leave out up the garden and so will be able to top up the water bowls, also have a large tin bath and a small pond................. :&> :&> :&> :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS