Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sunburn  (Read 3642 times)

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
sunburn
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:05:56 pm »
My pigs have access to plenty shade, they have their house which is nice a cool during the day, and i made them a wallow area - but they've still managed to get sunburnt ears.  What do you do to prevent it?

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: sunburn
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:30:02 pm »
Move to Wales.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:35:52 pm »
A bit of ordinary sun screen (for humans, such as L'Oreal and all that). Gets costly, though, try sticking some mud on their ears if you can instead - the top of their ears is the one bit the mud of the wallow can't seem to reach, isn't it? ;)

Did you get sunshine today then? Lucky you!  :D

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:05:03 am »
I never understood where the problem in a pigs sunburn is..... I mean, if we had one, then its gone after three days and hurts a bit when moving around, but a pig should cope with that or not? Tough animals they are.
Or a i totally wrong?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:40:53 am »
Depends on how bad the sunburn gets.

Pigs don't get a tan afterwards.  ;)

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 09:27:53 am »
- if it hurts them and theres a way of preventing it - why would you not do it Hannes?

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 10:30:37 am »
Hannes, sunburn can be very nasty and happen very quickly. Found a gilt last summer on the ground in her pen couldn't get up and had a large red patch on her side. I found her on the morning feed round so you wouldn't expect the sun to be that hot not in Wales anyway. It turned into a nasty abscess and she was very poorly for a while but eventually got better. Ended up with a big dip in her side where the abscess had been.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 10:56:01 am »
We don't normally suffer so much sun  ;) up here in the Highlands, but its been glorious for weeks now, the driest april for i while i think.  I'll try suncream on their ears and when its really hot in the summer, i hope they will have learnt to actually use their wallow to give them protection over their backs.....and next time i will get pigs that aren't so pink!!

Hannes

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • Loch Arthur and their animals
    • Loch Arthur Farms
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:41 pm »
I see.  :farmer:
THnak You all for helping me with that information, I think I have never been aware of that problem since sunburn is generally not a great problem here in SW Scotland, missing sun and plenty of mud seem to help :-)
YOu'll never stop learning  :o

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:53:57 pm »
i use factor 50 on my GOS pigs mainly behind their ears are where they get burnt despite having plenty of shade when the sun is out they prefer to sun bathe and although they wallow they never manage to get behind the ears its fun applying it at 4:30am before work i can tell you... although being in wales it isnt needed all that often.

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 06:40:22 pm »
Big hand fulls of of mud lathered all over their ears and and back and a dam good wallow thats the answer....cheaper than factor 50!!!

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 06:42:40 pm »
i agree however factor 50 washes off better before work lol ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS