Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: your experiences of small incubators?  (Read 6136 times)

compost

• Joined Jan 2008
your experiences of small incubators?
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:17:45 pm »
hi.
i usually borrow an incubator but this year i'm thinking of stretching to buying a small one for myself. just for about 10 eggs would be fine. the cheapest i can find is Covatutto 6 Incubator at £42 + delivery. but  it is very compact and also the lid is transparent. has anyone any experience of these? it would seem best to get the version with a thermometer but i guess if it has a thermostat then thats all that is required?

would it really be better if i spent more?

(as anyone got a second hand one?!)

any advise or experiences would be gratefully recieved.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: your experiences of small incubators?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:26:17 am »
We had a Covatutto that broke down at the crucial moment twice so we sent it back. We now have a Brinsea 10 with which we have had variable results - mostly not great. My chum has the same incubator with not great results.

Our smallholders association is consdering buying a more expensive one with humidity control that members will be able to use.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:00:53 am »
Rosemary - after a few poor results of hatching in the incubator I took advice off an "expert". She told me that in Scotland do not add water into the incubator and if you do just the smallest of a drop. Since I took this advice I have had 2 lots of 100% successful hatchings.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:11:35 pm »
Just had a thought, James!  You could join Central Scotland Small-holders Association then we could have a group visit to your place - and maybe even stay in your hotel and have a party!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:41:30 pm »
Wouldn't be a huge party we only have 3 rooms at the moment - that will increase to 15 once the extension is added next year. Nice thought  :) The extension is going to make such a massive change to business.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:47:53 pm »
James, do you add water near to hatching to increase humidity or not? Thanks for the tip. I'll not add anymore to this lot - hope it's not too late.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:17:37 pm »
Rosemary - No. On day 15 I take the eggs out the incubator( for no more than 15 minutes) and spray them with room temperature water. This I do every day until 3 days before the due hatch date. As I said has worked a treat since I stopped adding water, I think last time I added about a tablespoonful of water at the start but no more. Good luck. I will keep you updated with the progress of the ones I have in the incubator just now.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:27:28 pm »
hey James, is there any difference between west coast Scotland and east coast? Bearing in mind that Aberdeenshire, for example, is on of the driest areas in Britain.

I had to add masses of water surface area to keep my incubator within the recommended range of humidity. I use a max/min and humidity (electronic) measurerer. I live just near Newtyle north of Dundee. Had a good hatch rate.

Will be incubating in may this year...so may try your technique
Emma
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:53 pm »
Emma, all I was told was that due to what ever reason - I can't remember - most of Scotland did not require water, sorry my memory is crap. If what you have always done in the past maybe works it may be safer to keep doing the same?

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:37:01 pm »
ah but it is good to find ways to improve!

The 'ps'  to my last good hatch rate was that they were ALL boys!! :o :o :o
so maybe a change of technique would alter the balance
Emma x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 04:11:06 pm »
Someone told me that the temperature affected whether they were male or female chicks but I can't rememebr who and they didn't explain the science so I don't know if it's an old wives tale.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 04:40:37 pm »
yes i have heard that too...or read it...will check my files again. funily enough my little brown hen went broody in feb. so i popped several of the welsummer eggs under her. the four that hatched were all female...so maybe its the cooler end of the range gives the girls a headstart!   :)

one of the young girls got 'caught' by something last week so i only have three from that hatching now. ??? Cats, foxes, I dunno? doubt it was one of our dogs! May have been one of the cocks getting a bit too heavy handed.....typical boy!!!

tongue firmly in cheek Emma x

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:52:02 pm »
Hi

We have a Brinsea Octagon 20 with an auto turn cradle and it is brilliant.  We set 24 eggs 3 or 4 times a year and get hatches of 19 or 20 every time.  I agree with James, don't add water if you're in scotland it really is not necessary.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

dannyonthefarm

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Biddulph Moor
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 11:49:36 am »
Hi my first incubator was an MPS18 Manio I bought it new from ebay it cost me about £50 but I also had to buy a hygrometer I had grate results with it, I think they are dearer now about £80.But I would recommend getting an auto turning incubator they are more expensive but they make incubating a lot easier. If you hatch eggs every year and you no you are going to use your incubator I would recommend getting the best you can afford I wish that’s what I had done it would have saved me money in the long run as I am now on my third incubator.

Hope this helps Danny

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS