Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog whisperer wanted!  (Read 7114 times)

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
Dog whisperer wanted!
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:10:08 pm »
Help!  I have two dogs - yes normal, but one is ......... Colin Feck the Jack Russell who I got to keep my 10 year old lurcher company now I live in Ireland.  My lurcher is a town dog, so as everyone and their mother in Ireland seems to have a JR, I thought why not. He is so loyal and you just want to cuddle him, BUT what a handful. His favorite pass times are - chasing cars, chasing sheep, bullying my other dog, terrorising my cat, need I go on. 
Tried all the dog whisperer techniques and he is good when in reach of me, but so naughty once he gets in the fields.  One good thing, he can't get the better of the cows in the next field - they chase him, but even that he finds fun and actually goads them to chase him. 
Saying all this he doesn't harm anything, only me and my nerves.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do? ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dog whisperer wanted!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:20:10 pm »
How old was he when you got him?  If he was 8 weeks then you have missed out on his basic training, if older then you have inherited this nuisance behaviour.  Either way you will have to go back to basics and train him as if he was a puppy.  It will be an uphill struggle since he has discovered he gets off with these bad habits.  You MUST be consistent. You must not let him off with bad behaviour, you must ALWAYS be on top of him mentally, reward him with his food - starve him for a couple of days then make him work for every bit of his meal.  Start with sit stays, you could try using a whistle, one pip for sit, a few pips for 'come here'  Start off in an enclosed area where he can't get away from you.  Sit him, tell him to stay, if he gets up put him back in the same place and tell him to stay again - keep at it till he behaves.  Once he can stay for a short time, move away from him then back, and gradually lengthen the time and the distance.  Then you can go on to recalls - make him sit stay a few times, then call him to you.  Remember to praise very excitedly and happily.  Only do one or two recalls in any one  training session.  The rest of the time put him on a sit stay and go back to him.  Keep the training session short - 5 or 10 minutes a few times a day. And don't let him run wild the rest of the time or he'll just go back to his old ways.  Good luck.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:08:43 am »
We inherited a 2 year old male jack Russell two years ago, he had very few manners, no training but his temperament was very good, he came to live with our staffi and whippet/lab x. He is now the best behaved of all three thanks to my partners sheer determination and hard work, he never pulls on the lead and walks at his side in the fields. At times i did think Paul was harsh on him but he is totally devoted to Paul now and obeys his every word. Hes a great little character, good luck !!!!

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 09:17:45 am »
Thank you both.  Looks like i have some work on my hands, but he is so good when HE wants to be - yes you are right I need to let him know who is boss.  Its not that he is simple, he is very intelligent and that is how he has got away with it for so long - no more, from today he does what I want!
Thanks again

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:16:16 pm »
Just remember that, (as I have been known to say to my huge German Wirehaired Pointer, Hester) YOU are Alpha Bitch! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D :dog:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 09:55:52 am »
Our Jack Russell is well behaved but we did get him as a pup and now he thinks he is a German Shepherd and training him with the big dogs did make thinks easier. Now and again the terrier does take over when he can smell rats and mice but even then I can call him off if need be. He loves his toys which helps with training, he sulks and turns his back on us if we have upset him and now again has been know to cock his leg if I give him into trouble as if to say, who do you think you are talking too.  I am the boss and all the dogs know it but my OH is a soft touch so they all run rings around him. It will take time but a little each day should work as they are very clever little dogs. Would not be without mine.  :dog: :)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 11:59:05 am »
lol i think hester is lovely dog but i guess i only see here on a good day lol.
I don't even mind when see stole my sock lol see did give it back lol.

Linz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:26:51 pm »
She has her moments - doesn't like other dogs (except Allez, who is her baby) but absolutely adores peopel, especially children, follows my 2 year old grand-daughter around everywhere. ;D

puffin

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 07:58:28 am »
We inherited a 2 year old male jack Russell two years ago, he had very few manners, no training but his temperament was very good, he came to live with our staffi and whippet/lab x. He is now the best behaved of all three thanks to my partners sheer determination and hard work, he never pulls on the lead and walks at his side in the fields. At times i did think Paul was harsh on him but he is totally devoted to Paul now and obeys his every word. Hes a great little character, good luck !!!!

the best behaved (nonworking) dog i know is my mates aussie cattle dog.  they've had him from a pup and for the 1st year/18mths they had him he got away with nothing.  it was a very strict upbringing but it paid off, he's one the most relaxed and obedient (well, to my friend ACD's really are one man dogs!) dogs that your likely to meet. 

as an example of how relaxed/obedient he is a few years back, while out with the dogs at lunchtime the general's helicopter came in to land.  josh (the acd) was at the other side of the field and nat gave the drop command.  josh dropped, the chopper flew over him then landed in between the pair.  after everything had shut down the pilot congratulated my friend on what a well trained dog he had.

it can seem harsh and can be heartbreaking at times, esp with a cute puppy, but (cliche alert) like a house if you get the foundations right it'll last, if you dont you're just gonna have to go back and redo it with much more effort at a later date!

hope that makes sense/helps

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 12:22:08 pm »
When I was 14, I got a collie pup called Kerry. I was really strict with her - even my parents used to say I was hard on her. But she grew into a great dog - obedient, happy and absolutely trustworthy. Our current two are much more indulged but I don't think they are happier.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 11:49:18 pm »
dont mean to he harsh but if he is chasing sheep its not on the farmer who owns the sheep has every right to shoot the dog (i know i would). tie him to the end of a long rope if not you could get Cesar Millan over from america (might cost you a few bob tho)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS