Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken coop  (Read 11007 times)

dt400

• Joined Apr 2012
Chicken coop
« on: May 05, 2012, 07:46:08 am »
Hi all

Does anyone have any experience of any of the chicken coops for sale on ebay, robustness finish etc.

Thanks Clive

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Chicken coop
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:53:00 am »
Clive,
I bought one recently.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-7FT-COCOON-CHICKEN-HEN-HOUSE-COOP-POULTRY-ARK-RUN-ROOF-OPENS-CLEAN-/260913263203?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item3cbfa47263.

It isn't bad but I have no experience to go by.

If I was buying again I would have something with a bigger door to the run as I can't get in there. (maybe have the door at the end so its wider) I am also finding that the doors stick a bit but perhaps thats because of all the wet weather we have.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:01:53 am »
Whereabouts are you? I buy mine from a young man who lives locally (South Devon) they are ark shaped, very sturdy, hold a dozen hens, easy to clean and £70 each.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:31:55 pm »
Don't leave it out doors Bionic. It will fall apart in less than a year. Total rubbish I'm afraid.

The wood is to thin and the joints are just stapled. The doors will stick until one day you pull to hard and the wood splits.
Hundreds of these cheap imports have been sold in the UK and are worse than useless.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 03:37:33 pm »
Castle Farm,
I bought a pig ark from a local man who makes them and he said virtually the same thing about the hen house when he saw it. He told me he would see me again in 18 months when the coop had fallen to pieces.

The trouble with just moving is that everything needs to be done and there is only so much that you can do yourself. By the time it does fall apart OH should be in a position to make me exactly what I want. I hope  :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 06:52:25 pm »
You can't go far wrong if you buy from the manufacturer, rather than a retailer Bionic. Only one markup on cost price rather than two, so you will get better for your money. Ensure the timber is treated and then seal it outside with Cuprinlol Garden Shades or similar -treated wood is not sealed wood. If it's fixed, not mobile, 16mm cladding should be employed and it should be raised off the ground by at least 200mm - more is better as the chickens will shelter underneath. Ours are raised 450mm.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:46:15 am »
Chris,
I treated mine with cuprinol shades in 2 different colours.  It looks quite nice  :)

dt400

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:58:17 am »
Hi
Thanks for the info, only been here 2 weeks now (Sutherland) lots to do, just want to get going and get a few birds and looking for the easy route for housing.
Apparently there are a few manufactures in Caithness may try them first.

Cheers Clive

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:04 am »
That's a very pretty house and run  :thumbsup:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 02:06:21 pm »
Don't leave it out doors Bionic. It will fall apart in less than a year. Total rubbish I'm afraid.

The wood is to thin and the joints are just stapled. The doors will stick until one day you pull to hard and the wood splits.
Hundreds of these cheap imports have been sold in the UK and are worse than useless.
  Completely agree.  I bought some in a hurry - looked fine for the first year - now falling apart.  Cheap wood from C****a, rats knawed straight through the base.  But it will tide you over for a while especially if you are not sure what your management routine will be in the long term.

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 06:46:18 pm »
Appreciate this is a now a little bit late and coop already bought but for everyone's benefit please don't buy the Cocoon brand or the UK Coops brands which seems to be the same company on EBAY.  The wood is rubbish, the nest boxes leak, the hinges and latches on the door don't close and are not affixed properly; the pull out base wobbled when the girls walked over it - all in all a waste of money!  The best bet is to build your own!

dt400

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 06:10:32 am »
Just found a S/h coop and with feeder and bedding and feeders etc, for £48.

The coop is form chicken coops direct and is a Kent coop and run, it,s  not badly built but we will see how it  stands up to the highland weather remains to be seen

Just need to treat the timber and get some birds to go in it, any ideas?

Thanks Clive

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 08:55:09 pm »
Some of the coops on Ebay suggets they can hold 10-12 hens, when in reality they should only hold 4-6. I have had 2 from Ebay when I first started as I only wanted a maximum of 6 hens but this hobby becomes very addicaive very quickly and I now have 16 hens and some ducks on the way.
As has been said the construction is poor and the materials cheap, they will require regular cleaning and a perfect for red mites.
The best option is a second hand or cheap shed as this provides more space for the birds to move around, I've recently bought a 8'*6' shed for my birds although they still like to lay in the coops from Ebay if they get the chance (I've kept these coops as back ups or incase of emergencies).

I wouldn't recommend the Ebay coops to anyone starting up and wish I'd spent the money on a shed at the start.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 09:21:37 pm »
I made all mine. 2x2 frames, made a rectangle at a time then joined (I am no carpenter  :D), shiplap clad and plywood roofs with tin sheet over (it's wet here!) External nest boxes, with plywood roofs. The whole fronts come off for cleaning.

One day I will gloss the insides to reduce the red mite hiding places but I don't have too many problems.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 04:47:55 pm »
The ones they sell where I work all come from China and are total rubbish. They look lovely in the shop but are poorly designed and flimsy. The ones on ebay look the same. I've got one that's a converted garden shed. The others I've built myself out of wood from pallets. Strong, practical and almost free apart from my labour.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS