Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which Duck?  (Read 1204 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Which Duck?
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:10:00 am »
We live in a fluke area  - lots of water around!!  This week I heard that ducks used to be recommended to help with this (eating the snails that form part of the life cycle??).  We have a ford/pond in our stream so I'm sure ducks would like it here - question is which ones would be best advised for pest control and hardyness and how many /what sex would you recommend if I dont want to drown in eggs (not sure if drakes live together better than cockrells?).  Also (daft question) do they help with sheep worms too?   I'd not though about keeping ducks before.  Tanks, Fi

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Re: Which Duck?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 11:36:15 am »
My muscovies absolutely love slugging in the field and in my neighbours garden. I think they are doing a great job cos, touch wood, I haven't seen too many of the little beasties about. I think probably all ducks would be good at keeping slugs down, so pick a breed that you like the look of. :&>
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Which Duck?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:48:25 pm »
As Brij says, any really, so pick something you like.
For me, runners first, they are just so funny.
One drake to 4 or more ducks though, of whatever sort, or they make the ducks' lives a misery.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS