Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Udder question  (Read 2293 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Udder question
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »
As is pretty typical I have one ewe where her single lamb suckles on one side only and therefore the other side is engorged with milk.  The engorged side is absolutely enormous, nearly touching the ground and dwarfs the side that is suckeld. There are currently no signs of mastitis but I am concerned that with the sheer volume of milk that must be there that she may develop problems.

How long is it likely to take for the unused side to reabsorb the milk? She lambed 2 weeks ago.
I guess that other than watching out for possible mastitis there is nothing else I can do??

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Udder question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:44:11 pm »
I think I'd be tempted to pen them and put the lamb onto the other side,
Perhaps even make sure it was hungry by penning them separately but side by side,
you never know once the lambs saliva and scent is on the teat that could do the trick.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:03:50 am »
Otherwise, I'd try expressing some of the milk from that side to relieve the pressure.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:37:58 am »
Otherwise, I'd try expressing some of the milk from that side to relieve the pressure.

I would do that too, as it's so extreme.  In fact it sounds as if it's too big for the lamb to suck without emptying it a bit first.  I understand that you won't want to encourage that side to go on producing milk, so once you have reduced it in size and had a good check over, only milk it a little if it starts to build up again - unless you want to try making sheeps cheese  :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:55:17 am »
We did strip her out once but she filled back up again and I must admit I was reluctant to do it again as I know it can just lead to more milk production. Interesting point about the size potentially making it difficult for the lamb to suck from and also about maybe stripping just a small amount. Maybe I'll try that and then try and get the lamb on that side as moleskins suggested.

Now sheeps cheese, nice thought - although I think Agatha may have other ideas on that one....  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS