Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: newbie from derbyshire  (Read 5213 times)

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
newbie from derbyshire
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:00:15 am »
Hi im not a smallholder, but a dreamer, for several years i`ve dreamt of escaping my work and living a more fulfilling life. I live with my partner Paul in a Derbyshire village and grow some megre veg and fruit, i have my 3 dogs and 1 cat, when he decides to come home again. i`m enjoying reading your posts and getting even more dreamier about one day making the move.

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
Re: newbie from derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:32:58 pm »
Don't dream, life is too short! I gave up everything in London and moved to the middle of nowhere in Ireland and have great plans.  I spent too long in a stressful job dreaming, wish I'd done it years ago (before the resession!)

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:14:39 pm »
I know that life is too short and that there will always be something to stop me making a major life change, i suppose financial concerns are my first obstacle and then my daughters who don't want me to move from the area, alto to think about but i know i want to make changes. So hey thats why I'm here to read and learn.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:24:50 pm »
Hello again

You'll get loads of help and advice on this website - I've learnt loads since joining.  Also don't dream, just start small and build up to bigger things.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:29:54 pm »
If it helps i can tell you my story.

My husband of 23 years, my kids Dad, was killed in a car crash - he saved my life by pulling onto the grass verge.  My life changed - I had to learn new skills.  I met my partner a year later and my life changed again, we moved home and bought a small croft.  He grew vegetables and trained our gundogs for field trials and I went out to work to support us (he was made redundant soon after we moved there so my life changed again)  He was killed in a mountain accident some years later, so my life changed again.  I retired soon after and decided I couldn't stay in our house so sold it and built one next door - my life changed again.  Then my kids wanted me to move nearer and I thought it better to do it while i was still young enough to make new friends - my life changed again.  Each of these changes apart from the most recent has not been anticipated, however, I have made new friends, and none of these changes has done me any harm.  They are all just chapters in a book.  I am very happy to have made the change to move South for many reasons.  Think about all your options and make a list of the pros and cons then decide but remember that life is always changing because of unforeseen circumstances.  One thing I would say is that country life is an excellent way to bring up children.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 08:44:32 pm »
You see that is exactly what life is all about. I have had some life changing going on, but previously have always gone back to doing what is expected of me. Have a job bring up my daughter and go back to work.  Same cycle again and again. Now I have decided to do what I have always wanted to and not worry what other say.
I moved away from all those that conform and find myself in Ireland a most beautiful green country and ready to make the new start. I'm going to start small and thanks to all the advice here I have made a plan for MY future, it may not work out, but I will deal with that when it happens. I'm not a dreamer any more.

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:35 pm »
Thanks for your replys , i have had change too, i ended my unhappy marriage after 18 years went against my family and freinds choices, i then had 3 different relationships, i lost my only sibling sister in a horse riding accident 7 years ago, ive settled with a new partner and i moved house after 20 years from our family home. im ready for more changes but i need some level of security to enable me to make the change, i think with your help i will make my changes. it will take time and hard work. thanks again

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:33:25 am »
We took the plunge, moved away from family and everything we knew, to Brittany.  You really have to WANT to change; sometimes it really is best to keep it a lovely dream.  If you have a garden you can grow anything and if you dont have a balcony have some pots, I still grow tomatoes and runner beans in big pots its the only way to find them in the weeds.

If you have enough room have some chickens.  Be happy.

dreamer

• Joined Apr 2009
  • ilkeston derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 01:51:10 pm »
Dreams are fine but reality is that after 25 years of working in social care i need to get out, the stress, the complete and utter mayhem of trying to convert taxpayers money into something resembling proffesional care surrounded by the governments attempts to measure statistics, resulting in waste waste and more waste i can rant on for days like this  yes i do need to change !!! life really is too short i know that probably more than most working with elderly and sick people. i will keep on reading ,ive just applied to go on a smallholding course run by our local agriculteral college hope i get on it.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »
Sounds like you really want to change ... :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 05:53:59 pm »
You have taken the first step!  That course will put you on the right track.  Can you stay in your present home to go forward - if not start scanning for another property now.  I have heard that the market is going to improve in the next six months so have a look around and be ready to jump.  And Good Luck!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS