Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming advice please  (Read 2488 times)

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
worming advice please
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:10:48 pm »
Hi,
Some of my shetlands are moving to a new owner tomorrow and they want to worm them before putting them in the trailer. they are giving them an oral dose and an injection.
Being a newbie, i have not actually wormed my sheep before. so am asking
Is it correct to give both an oral and an injection?
Should they be doing this before loading or on arrival?
Feeling sorry for the girls as they are not the easiest of my girls to handle and not looking forward to getting them in the trailer, without them having injections too!!
Also should i be worming my remaining girls, they all seem healthy, on rotating pasture and never had mucky bums??

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: worming advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:55:28 pm »
They could be two different types of wormer, which would ensure all worms are killed (i.e. including any that are resistant to one of the products).  I would do it on arrival, so that they are less stressed for the actual journey.

If you are not sure about your remaining girls, get a FEC done.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:39:38 pm »

Any tips on doing a FEC if you havnt got a proper holding area?  My Vet described the process which included leaving them on a cleaned concrete yard for an hour....  What planet are they on?  I have fields and I have a bit of shelter with a dust floor and lots of rusty old gates to make makeshift pens.....

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:04:54 pm »
Doing one of our FECs is simple.

Just collect a small sample of fresh droppings, pop in the plastic container, fill in the sheet, place in the pre-paid envelope and pop in a post box

Your results will be emailed within a couple of days.

thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 08:22:08 pm »
I always insist that any stock I buy is wormed before I arrive to collect them - my grazing has consistently low FECs and I don't want to be importing anybody else's parasites, thanks.

Most folk you buy sheep off will offer to worm them anyway - they should ideally be wormed 12-24h before they are collected/delivered so that ay eggs etc are excreted.

Sounds like they are doing you a favour by offering to come and do it themselves, Id want the vendor to pay for the wormer/cost of labour.

Incidentally, I am always happy to worm any sheep I sell, sometimes I do it without asking.

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:51:12 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone, at least i know what i should do next time,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS