Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wood Splitter  (Read 25962 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Wood Splitter
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 04:57:29 pm »
So I've been to look at this 10 ton manual hydraulic splitter. Packaged weight 50kg ! The two handles advance the ram at two different rates. The one on the left at 10mm per crank, the one on the right at 2mm per crank. The smallest log length it will split is 12" I think as it closes to 10" smallest. Maximum log diameter 175mm is pretty small, but if the large logs are split with the maul or grenade and sledge, they can be split again with this unit. It will certainly take much longer to do the job, but a lot less effort for a 55 year old. Very time consuming if the logs are not all about the same length. The springs on the unit pull the ram back when a control knob is turned to open the hydraulic fluid outlet -just like a car jack. Looks pretty strong but surprisingly not as sturdy as the 4 ton electric units. I guess you could use it all day. Thinking I can split the big stuff and my wife can finish them off. She certainly wouldn't use a maul or sledge.

I still can't decide !!!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 06:15:23 pm »
if i was to buy a machine to do the job, which im sure i will, probably when im 42... i would buy the electric one, cos if im buying a machine to do the job, then id want it to do the job. the manual one, not that ive ever used one, sounds like a lot of fiddling about, levers, knobs and whatnot, if you want to save time, and effort, then get the machine that does what you need, ie spilt tonnes of wood with as least hassle possible. good luck!

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 06:24:23 pm »
I'm with deep in the woods, but from a 58y perspective.  The manual device sounds like what you want to use on the neighbour - slow and painful.  And I would take published capacities with a large pinch of salt as I'm sure you will, and go for heavier duty.

But still take a f***-off axe with you because when you want a couple of days worth of logs it's still quicker and more fun
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 05:36:03 pm »
As I said in an earlier post "if I have a windfall I'll buy one". Well one arrived today in the form of an incredibly blocked drain. Three manholes full of toilet paper and poo and from the fourth 17 rods to reach the obstruction -fine tree roots. Nice day for it!!! Then another call out of the blue for a leaking washing machine connector. So by 11.30 I had enough to buy one of these splitters.

I've printed off my discount voucher and will collect it tomorrow. Considered saving for an electric one or even better a petrol one and the problems are obvious -so much more to maintain or break, setting aside the cost. Accepting it will take much longer than a maul, but it will also be much safer. Then there is the noise aspect. The running cost -petrol is expensive. The electric cable waiting to be tripped over or damaged. Operation in wet conditions. So I'll take a risk because, although it may not work well, I don't want to be left saying "what if ?"

Let you know how I get on.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 09:07:41 pm »
Bought it. Not the best build quality and will need more hydraulic oil as the finish on the pistons isn't that good. Tried a really nasty piece of Arcasia I think -has inch long spikes growing from the trunk and grows as fast as Willow. Bone dry and fibrous. Takes time to get the ram up to it and as the piece was short I had to put a packing block in. Couldn't move the fast traverse arm so three efortless pumps on the high pressure side and BANG. Split in two. Would never ever have split that with a maul. It would just bounce off. So yes its very slow but quite effortless. All the logs need to be cut the same length so I'll make a simple marking gauge.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 10:15:55 pm »
Mmmm, sounding tempting again (except that our current seasones stack is all sizes, but from the stuff I fell and cut onwards, like you, I can make an even legth) - so did you go for the one you were first looking at (wolf?), how much and what how did you get discount  vouchers? ;D   

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 02:21:34 pm »
The Wolf and the Machine Mart units are one and the same with different colour handles FiB. Just spoke to a friend in Albi, South France. Firstly its only the same temperature as here but the humidity is just 65% so it isn't sweltering. Secondly the locals around him have manual hydraulic wood splitters. He's never seen anyone with a petrol or electric one. Described them as "look a bit like a big car jack".

I got a VAT free internet offer from Machine Mart. That bought the price down to £109.98. I'm going to get some spare oil next time I'm in. Or if theirs is a ripoff I'll drain the unit and get some from somewhere else.

robert waddell

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2012, 06:48:34 pm »
it could be a low viscosity hydraulic oil the same as eclectic fork lift trucks  more like water than oil  :farmer:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2012, 09:07:58 pm »
Well I have to say Robert, if their oil is anything like their circular saw blades for quality you will be right. I bought a saw bench for speeding up coop building. Said if you use any blade other than theirs the warranty was invald. It was so bad I only used it for kindling and after a few weeks use it was too bad for even that -splinters everywhere. Bought a Bosch blade -super smooth cut every time two years on.

Their oil is £7 per litre. So I'll use it for the warranty period and replace the lot.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2012, 08:28:01 pm »
To follow up on my purchase. Have used this splitting wood for the last two weeks. Used on some really nasty stuff that an axe wouldn't have touched. The ten ton capacity is regularly used to the limit so a machine with lesser capacity would be useless on the hardwood here (oak and hornbeam). My wife uses the machine, keeping pace with me barrowing and stacking. There is a bit of a knack to reading the wood and it is limited to about 10" diameter and 440mm long. Best if the wood is cut carefully to all about the same length as it saves a lot of time closing the ram onto the wood. As expected Clarke use the minimum amount of oil and I've had to top it up with about 200mL. You can split bigger diameters but have to be careful not to overload the jaw so read the wood carefully. My intention was to use a 'grenade' to split the bigger stuff but have not actually needed it.

To conclude it is an excellent investment which has helped us to harvest, split and store 6 cubic metres in about 8 days. Little to wear out and no fuel costs -should last me out!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2012, 09:52:38 pm »
Sounds like a great investment  :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2012, 10:34:32 am »
excellent result chris. i bet your back is grateful too :thumbsup:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2012, 03:02:52 pm »
Yes, no back problems. The neighbour is still splitting his with a selection of axes and a lump hammer. In the meantime I have done all manner of other jobs in the time and with the energy saved. And, most importantly, no injuries either.

Problem with petrol power tools for this kind of work, certainly over here, is does the extra costs for fuel and maintenance justify any time saving? Would the money be better spent buying wood in? I've stopped using the petrol chainsaw for cutting smaller stuff up. Much cheaper to bring it to the house in 2 metre lengths and cut it up with an electric chainsaw.[size=78%] [/size]

deepinthewoods

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »
thats interesting i havent really analysed the difference in cost between petrol and electric.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2012, 07:25:28 pm »
Power tools Chris ? What is wrong with a hand saw? :thumbsup: Oh and welcome to France.
Last year I used nothng else to saw poles, collect broken branches etc then cut to length. Thing is I lost half a stone and we still burnt 1000 Euros worth of wood.
This year I bought a chain saw and split trunks into 6 by hand. I have gathered about 1000 Euros worth of wood again and even dug up dead tree roots ( they burn hot and slow). I just hope we don't have another "Grand Froid" for 3 weeks ( -24 was a bit grim).
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS