Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WANTED... L/F light sussex COCKEREL  (Read 3390 times)

milgochickens

• Joined May 2012
  • Devon
WANTED... L/F light sussex COCKEREL
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:04:26 am »
Hi, I have four large fowl light Sussex hens (currently 8 weeks old).
I have been searching everywhere for a Light Sussex cockerel for them as I am hoping to breed from them. Unfortunately everyone seems to cull their cockerels as soon as they spot them, so I haven't been able to find one for my lovely ladies. Is there anyone in the Kent/east Sussex borders area who has a spare cockerel looking for a new home  ???  ?
Or does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get my hands on one? Perhaps I should get some hatching eggs and hope for the best that I will end up with a cockerel.
He must be a L/F light Sussex.

Thanks!     :chook:
Two dogs, eight chickens, two ducks an orchard and a veggie patch...

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
Re: WANTED... L/F light sussex COCKEREL
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:08:09 am »
We live in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, and have some three week old Light Sussex chicks.  You'd be welcome to one of ours when we can tell which is which, if you'd like?  Its a long way to travel for him, though.  Reminds me of when we went to collect ours from Chipping Norton... he crowed, almost constantly, all the way back in our tiny Skoda car - we were almost going mad from it by the time we reached home  :D
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

milgochickens

• Joined May 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:26:08 am »
Sadly I think that would be a bit too far away from me in sunny kent :( . I'm sure your cockerel must have been glad to be back on solid land by the end of his car journey, I found it bad enough with my ducks quacking on a half an hour journey  :P

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:32 am »
I've got a couple of large fowl light sussex cockerels that I haven't yet got round to casseroling. They are from the last hatch of last year which probably puts them at eight or nine months old. We're a little far away from you though in Cambridgeshire.
In case others read this thread with spare LS cockerels, I'm also looking for a new one as Jeeves our old boy is getting a bit past it and I need some fresh blood in the flock.

milgochickens

• Joined May 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:58:54 pm »
Bit too far away again, really looking for one in Kent/East Sussex...  :-\ Good luck trying to find one to replace Jeeves!

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 02:48:16 pm »
well i'm definately too far away, but if you're ever up near the Isle of Skye, i have 3 you could choose from!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 12:10:58 am »
And I have one of last years hatch who is still with me, but, being in Derbyshire its a long way off too!!!

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 07:27:36 pm »
There are some here but again to far away, mine is getting quite aggressive he'll be heading for the pot if hes not careful  ;D
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS