Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's your favourite?  (Read 6063 times)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
What's your favourite?
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:02:57 pm »
Having just got my first pigs (2 saddleback boys) and knowing they will do off to slaughter, I just wondered what breeds eveyone on here likes and why? I already know that I have to have more piglets before these two boys go as I am hooked! and not even tasted the pork yet! But I would eventually like a 'permanent pig' and like my passion for cocker spaniels and can't see past the breed I think I may become the same with saddlebacks because they are the first ones that I had. I would love to hear what your favourites are and why!  ;D

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
Re: What's your favourite?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:26:05 pm »
Hi i am passionate about my oxford sandy and blacks,they have got to be the most laid back pig on the planet and so easy to keep. Not only are they easy on the eye they are amazing mothers have decent sized litters,dont need too much feed as they do very well on foraging,I have 2 boars and they are both big softies i only have to shout them to swap pens and they come galloping up and know there is work ahead.Then at the end of it there is the most delicious pork you will ever taste, with that layer of subcuaneous fat the crackling lifts up and wow!!!What more can i say?
Arl

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:34:26 pm »
Hi,

I echo Arl.  We have OSB's but have also kept GOS and saddleback crosses and we prefer the OSB's.  Very easy to keep, friendly and most importantly tasty too.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:02:36 pm »
Didn't realise there were any other breeds apart from BERKSHIRES learn something new every day  :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:19:36 pm »
I like all of them  :-\ ;)
My Large Blacks are sooooo docile, the Berkshire is really cheeky and inquisitive, the Tamworth has to be the loooongest pig I've ever met and a complete sweetie of a pig, I've a real soft spot for my OSB too because of her attentive and faultless mothering ability.
But if I could choose one and only one breed to keep, for me, it would be Kunekunes every time  :thumbsup:
There's not another breed comes close (only in my opinion mind you) in terms of ease of management, placid temprament (my toddlers go in with them at feeding time) cheaper rearing costs compared to 'big' pigs, less damage to your ground and the pork itself, well, it's the one breed which always sells out first  ;)
Try another breed next time ppd, gradually work your way round all of them and by the time you've done that you'll have all the experience and info you need for your permanent pigs (got to have at least 2 for company  ;)) and be ready to think piglets  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

chickenfeed

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 06:53:29 am »
we have kept
british lops
tamworths
osb's
saddlebacks
hampshires
gos
lop x large blacks
gos x saddlebacks
kunekune's

but when it came to breeding it had to be the lops docile great mothers nice big litters a back length that goes on and on so great for bacon & pork.

but its down to what catches your eye and you are happy to keep  :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:46:04 am »
Saddlebacks are our favorites, but we have most breeds, inc. OSB's and Tammys, Berkshire, Large Black, Large White, Middle white, Kune's, GOS, and even a Mangalitza.  All have their attractions, and like dogs and people, all are individuals as well, with different characteristics.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:45:56 pm »
We have saddlebacks, OSBs, large blacks and mangalitzas.  They're all fab but I guess the large black and mangalitzas would be our favs. Our large blacks are calm and relaxed and love a good belly rub.  The mangalitzas are full of character and are quite a show stopper with their curly coats to those new to pigs!

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 06:38:40 pm »
Large blacks are an amazing pig, fantastic mothers, gentle and best of all they taste amazing especially if you cure them. We tried curing and smoking for the first time and the large blacks came out best. We did a series of blog posts if your interested, there's nothing quite making your own bacon. http://redbornefarm.blogspot.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 09:49:54 am »
Everyone just about knows that if you cut me in two i would have GOS imprinted right thro  ;D however support for the Large Black and the Lop is really needed as they're both getting low in numbers and both are good dual purpose bacon/pork pigs. By raising these breeds for meat you're supporting the few breeders that are left breeding them.
Mandy  :pig:

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:36:44 am »
I have only had weaners for the last 2 years, so not very experienced.

I got British Lops the first year, mainly because there is a very experienced breeder locally who is very helpful & supportive. I was tempted to go for OSB last year as we had a sun burn problem the first year, but the bottom had fallen out of the pig business due to increased feed prices & it just didn't sit right with me to go elsewhere, so we moved the pig ark to a more shaded area - problem solved.

I must admit that I prefer the look of the OSB, but the Lop provides me with everything I want from a pig & I feel like I can support a local breeder who does a lot for the breed. Also, they are easy to handle & taste fantastic.

Here's a bit from the British Lop society website.....

The Advantages of the British Lop:

The British Lop is docile and easily managed.

Being a white pig, it does not suffer from the commercial bias against coloured pigs.

The Lop is an excellent mother pig.

Suitable for both small-scale and extensive commercial systems.

The pork and bacon from a well-finished Lop is a high quality product that attracts niche market opportunities.

Unlike some rare breeds, the Lop does not tend to run to excessive fat if poorly managed.

By choosing to keep pedigree British Lops, you will be helping to conserve one of the rarest British breeds.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 11:29:41 am »
We usually have GOS but this year we're trying something different and having those and OSB (in different enclosures).  They should be with us by the end of May.  I can't wait.  I love them when they are small and run round investigating everything.  Could watch them for hours.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 12:22:23 pm »
personally I like the Hampshire, tamworth, British lop, but every one has there own preference of breed.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 01:29:19 pm »
Out of interest what does everyone have against Berkshires. Of everyone that has posted I am the only one for Berkshires I don't understand it. ???
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 03:26:51 pm »
Out of interest what does everyone have against Berkshires. Of everyone that has posted I am the only one for Berkshires I don't understand it. ???
I like my Berkshire BB, she's a great pig  :thumbsup: And the bacon is fan-bleedin'-tastic  :yum:
But, lovely though they are (and the piglets are gorgeous) if I could only pick one, it would be the Kunekune, closely followed by the Large Black - they just suit me and my set-up best.
C'mon now, no-one else has backed the wee hairy guys and you don't see me moaning (for once  ::);) :D :D :D
Karen  :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS