Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lawn Mower Advice  (Read 5154 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Lawn Mower Advice
« on: May 02, 2012, 05:35:49 pm »
O.K I need a new lawn mower.
 It must be easy to start ( I'm a short weedy runt  ;D )
 It must have self drive ( ground not very level )
 It must be able to mulch
 It must have the widest cut possible, and a good cut (if that makes sense) as it is for the grounds of a hotel.
Can't have a ride on, as it wont fit through any of the gates and there are lots of trees and flower beds in the way.
Money no object because it's not my money, but I will be the one using it most the time.
Any ideas? 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Lawn Mower Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »
Whatever you get don't get a Mountfield.  I have had nothing but trouble with my ride on mower since I bought it brand new just over a year ago.  If I'd thought about it soon enough I could have told Screwfix to take it back, but I didn't so I'm stuck with it.  Even the garden centre felt sorry for me last time and didn't charge a pick up fee.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:14:41 pm »
OH has just bought a Honda. It has all of the features that you mentioned below and it must be easy to start as I could do it. .

I think it cost £1,000 so just as well that money is no object, but it does have a 7 year warranty.  Honda must be confident in their mowers if they are going to give that sort of warranty.

We have literally only just bought it (last week) so haven't even had the chance to use it yet as its been raining most of the time.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:50:14 am »
Next door had a Honda mower and abused it dreadfully for years and years and it still went.  I asked them what make it was got one and have used Honda ever since.  They are not cheap, but work well, and seem to be good starters.  Mine will even mow when the grass is wettish.  :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:33:48 am »
If money is no problem a Honda, or any with a Honda engine. If budget is tight any 18" cut with a 4 HP Briggs and Stratton engine -we've had our cheapie 12 years. Just service it properly, particularly the first oil change and keep the blade sharp and you should have no problems.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:56:39 am »
you can't go wrong with a hayter. we used em when I was at horti college and if they can survive us they can survie anything (ours has even survived mrs M over filling it with oil becuase I said "have you checked the oil"  ::)). That said, honda are also rock solid.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:50:08 pm »
Thanks everybody, I think it will probably be another Honda.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:40:58 am »
Don't think you wil ever regret a Honda. However, husband did buy another make which allowed you to cut wet grass. Will find out what it is and repost.

Edit - its Rover, an Australian brand.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:17:40 am by smudger »
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Mel

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 10:32:27 pm »
I have just purchased a vintage Hayter harrier off of the ebay for only £40.00,I think that is a bargain,self propelled and goes anywhere,it really chomps away at everything ;D I had considered a new one,but when I saw all plastic and such,I thought I would buy something ancient and made to last!

simba

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 11:19:08 am »
i use for my contracts big honda  mowers they are about £1400 but are brill strong reliable variable speed and large grass boxes i would sugest not going for roller rears as they are tricky to turn in tight space and tend to tear the ground the hondas have a rubber strip on the back that gives the stripe effect also they can mulch if you want

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS