Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaners wanted, Anglesey  (Read 1544 times)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
Weaners wanted, Anglesey
« on: May 02, 2012, 04:42:12 pm »
Looking for a couple of weaners, must be pink skinned (local abatoir won't do black hairy ones).  Anglesey area if anybody knows of any.

thanks.

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
Re: Weaners wanted, Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »
Hi, I get mine from Derek Harrison near Carmel (just south of Caernarfon) if that's any help. He breeds British Lops, which eat very well. I don't know if he has any ready to go right now, but may be worth a phone call. His phone number is available on the British Lop Society web site.

I'm think I used the same butcher to kill mine last year without any problems!

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:49:56 pm »
A bit of info on the British Lop, just in case you haven't come across them before!

The Advantages of the British Lop:

The British Lop is docile and easily managed.

Being a white pig, it does not suffer from the commercial bias against coloured pigs.

The Lop is an excellent mother pig.

Suitable for both small-scale and extensive commercial systems.

The pork and bacon from a well-finished Lop is a high quality product that attracts niche market opportunities.

Unlike some rare breeds, the Lop does not tend to run to excessive fat if poorly managed.

By choosing to keep pedigree British Lops, you will be helping to conserve one of the rarest British breeds.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:08 pm »
 :thumbsup: :farmer:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:48:30 pm »
Thanks all, I realised earlier whilst in the fields that I never actually put 'pigs' in the title, so good on you for getting it right, although maybe the 'pink skin' gave it away :)

We've had middle whites and large whites before, so want something similar - they will be for our own consumption :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS