Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetlands  (Read 5001 times)

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Shetlands
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:44:15 pm »
New girls.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Shetlands
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:46:32 pm »
Is this your first Shetlands if so I predict you will have more, Plenty of grass for them.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:47:33 pm »
Awww lovely girlies, I do love Shetlands  :)

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »
Is this your first Shetlands if so I predict you will have more, Plenty of grass for them.

Yes my first shetlands and a bit different from the commercials i have had in the past but so far yes we love them.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:19:54 pm »
OMG look at the grass  ;)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 07:44:55 pm »
I've got Shetlands this year after years of commercial sheep. I'm pretty impressed with a very straightforward lambing and no pets. They're good little sheep  ;D

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 08:12:05 pm »
Pigs on there last year Rosemary so its growing like mad.

Glad to hear it jaykay.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:02:55 am »
I've got Shetlands this year after years of commercial sheep. I'm pretty impressed with a very straightforward lambing and no pets. They're good little sheep  ;D
Last year my 30 shetlands produced 45 suffolkX lambs which sold in october at an average of 38kg for £58 each. They never needed the vet and didnt eat much. In my opinion that makes them "commercial."

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 09:08:07 am »
Even on the 'proper' farming forums, the Shetland, at least as a cross, is getting a lot more respect than previously, and a lot fewer rude remarks,  mainly because of the move towards lower intervention, lower overhead sheep. They have their downsides (need good fences, can be a pain to round up, rams can be hostile to another ram) but in terms of a low input flocks they are great!

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 09:20:56 am »
Better to spend money on a good fence that lasts 20 years than on feed to to keep a big ewe through the winter

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 10:20:42 am »
I think my shetland are fantastic - I only have 11 and they are only now a year old but they are easy to look after / handle which was why I have them and can't wait for lambing next year
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 11:50:57 am »
Better to spend money on a good fence that lasts 20 years than on feed to to keep a big ewe through the winter

Especially as after spending money on the ewe she might still peg it - easier to bear if the stock didnt cost too much to buy....

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 01:22:29 pm »
They seem to be settling in well.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS