Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do we think of this drill.....?  (Read 10029 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: What do we think of this drill.....?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:09:10 pm »
I bought one some months ago after reading the reviews.

It is a good bit of kit for the amateur/ occasional builder with a lot of tools included. However, it is very heavy and not suitable for those smaller delicate jobs (like putting up a curtain rail for example). But is excellent where you need a lot of 'grunt'! It broke up some concrete under our paving no problems.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:36:16 am »
I bought the equivalent Bosch unit, a Multidrill. Came with an SDS chcuck and a quick change drill chuck plus various attachments. The gearbox developed a leak after concrete breaking, seems there was no gasket fitted! 14 months old, I then discovered if I had been told and had registered it on-line I would have had a 3 year guarantee, otherwise it was 12 months. Shop helped out and rigged the invoices. Bosch sent me a brand new unit, boxed. So I now have two lots of everything. BUT it did cost £260 !!!! So for £79 DBE don't expect much.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:56:35 am »
So for £79 DBE don't expect much.

It is actually pretty well built, Obviously have only used it for 3 months or so; but this is a substantial bit of kit as the reviews indicate.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 10:33:09 am »
Thanks all - I might go for it.  I don't have the strength to use a lot of the stuff myself, but it is so useful to have something on hand if someone comes to help and needs it.   I bought myself a light "screwdriver" type drill not long ago for around £25 so this would be for the heavier jobs.  I presume it would be ok for ordinary drilling type jobs as well?  For instance yesterday we couldnt get vine eyes into a brick wall and needed something.  The hammer type drill bought about 5 years ago from the local discount DIY won't hold sufficient charge in the batteries so this would be a replacement.

By the way is an SDS what I would nomally have called a hammer drill?

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:40:56 am »
no sds is the type of chuck for quick changes and does not slip like a jacobs chuck  or key chuck
hammer drill is the action within the drill to go through the brick wall with a special hardended drill bit :farmer:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 10:47:36 am »
Thanks - so presumably easier in use?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 11:38:09 am »
SDS drill bits have an SDS shank to fit the chuck DBE. They change fast and don't come loose when hammering. You can get a quick change chuck for the Bosch, but is works using ball bearings and cannot therefore be used with any hammer action, as the bearings would disintegrate. So basically you will need to buy a new set of drill bits to go with the drill.

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 12:13:12 pm »
now that is odd my hilti has quick change chucks and does not disintegrate when  hammering or breaking out concrete     but i will check and post pics :farmer:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 04:20:13 pm »
Dont know about the drill - but I was going to say the same as chrismahon - its worth buying from a local shop that you know as often returns if they are needed are far simpler.  Many stores will be happy to return stuff well out of the crappy manufacturers warranty of just 1 year or 3 as the manufacturer cannot prove how long the 'shelf' life in the shop before sale is.

This is especially helpful to people who use stuff infrequently as a fault developing on something thats used everyday will be under the waranty but if you only used it occasionally the fault may take years to develop - but the unit itself has had the 'same use'

Baz

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 05:52:14 pm »
Soooo..... if we wanted to just drill a few holes in a wall I shall need to buy a whole new set of drill bits first?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 06:35:34 pm »
Yes DBE. But you will drill them a whole lot faster! I have a 550W bosch as well. The 1500W Multidrill will put a 16mm hole through 9" of brick in one go in about 20 seconds. The other drill needs enlarging in stages and takes about 20 minutes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS