Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wood blewit?  (Read 6804 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
wood blewit?
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:51:43 am »
i have some what i think are wood blewits in the back garden, anyone know what i am looking for to make sure?
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

robert waddell

Re: wood blewit?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:59:14 am »
if you click n the ninth post down on this board lil has pics of wood blewit :farmer:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:53:01 pm »
nice one!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:40:56 pm »
too early for them phil, put up a photo

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:52:04 pm »
too early for them phil, put up a photo

will do, tomorrow when there is some light.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:58:15 am »
Also referred to as the Field Blewit or the Wood Blewit, this variety of mushroom is readily identified by the blue to purplish-blue streaked colouring of its stem. Topped with a smooth, light tan or light brownish coloured cap that ranges in size from 2 to 5 inches in diametre, the Blewitt mushroom emits a pleasant aroma from its dense white flesh, which begins to darken when it ages. Considered by many to be one of the best edible mushrooms, the Blewitt Mushroom (Lepista nuda) is often sliced and goes well as an ingredient for soups, stews, pasta, or ragoût dishes, providing an enjoyable earthy flavour. Growing this mushroom is relatively easy, as it is a Winter-hardy mushroom, and it thrives in waste garden debris such as grass clippings and chipped wood. The spawn is ideally mixed into a shallow compost pile and left alone, allowing Nature to do its thing. This beautifully blue mushroom will then crop well in the autumn. The Blewitt mushroom must be cooked well before it is eaten, as it contains low levels of thermo-mobile compounds that could give you a tummy ache if eaten raw. Do not let this put you off however, as they are delicious, just cook them well first, and also use extra caution if allergic to other fungi.

Mel

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:40 am »
This appears to be an Amethyst Deceiver (Laccaria amethystina) it is in every respect very similar to Laccaria laccata, the Deceiver, except that its overall colour is a deep violet when wet and pale grey when dry. Amethyst Deceiver caps are edible, although it takes rather a lot of them to make a good meal. The stems are tough and inedible.

When they grow among moss, the caps of this beautiful mushroom stand out and are very easy to find. More often they grow among dark damp leaf litter and sometimes go unnoticed until the caps begin turning pale.

At one time this mushroom was considered merely as a variety of the Deceiver (Laccaria laccata), a species of the same general size and form but very variable in colour. The Caps are 2 to 7cm in diameter, and are initially convex and become almost flat-topped at maturity.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 09:48:30 am »
they were much more purple when young, i have been very busy cooking for days so never got round to this, sorry!

what do you all think about these then?  :yum:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:49:26 am »
oh BTW they are under a large baytree  :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 10:47:45 am »
yep, looking good, you need to get a book tho mate, and do all the identification tests, like taking a spore print. then you can try cooking and trying a bit. they musnt be eaten raw, as i found out to my cost...

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 01:59:59 pm »
i have a book but i thought i would just make sure! maybe i should get a better book!  :D

deepinthewoods

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 02:11:44 pm »
you HAVE to do a spore print phil, even if thats ok just try a little bit, mushrooms take up the chemicals near them, as they are under a baytree i would be taking care. slice a bit off a cap, and hot fry it, then nibble a bit, wait 10mins, nibble another bit and wait 30mins, then have a mouthful and wait all day. do the test first!!

get a bit of white paper and a bit of black paper and put the cap of the mushroom over both, half and half. then put an upended glass on top and then leave for an hour or two. the resulting prints can be pretty amazing tbh, and the colour of the spores will help your identification.
 they do look like woodblewitt, but the thing thats alarming me is that they are so early, habit and location are the first identifiers.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »
just had a good look around and i have about 15 small caps in between the old bay leaves. so with the test do i put the top of the cap on the paper or the gills?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 03:15:45 pm »
gill side down, thats where the spores come from.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 03:58:06 pm »
gill side down, thats where the spores come from.

thought so just thought i would make sure

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS