Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breed and thus ram availability?  (Read 1645 times)

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
Which breed and thus ram availability?
« on: May 02, 2012, 05:15:54 am »
I am considering purchasing some pure bred sheep, maybe Ryelands to run alongside my commercial cross ewes.  However, I currently hire a different ram each season. 

I am in the South of England, so what breed would be best, bearing in mind that I would need to either hire or buy different bloodlines in.  ie there would be no point buying a few ewes and then finding out at that stage that I would have to travel to the other end of the country to access a ram from different bloodlines?

Any thoughts on breed and availability would be gratefully received. :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Which breed and thus ram availability?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:11:09 am »
There are a lot of Ryelands in the south of England and Wales. Check the Ryleand Flock Book Society website for lists of breeders. Nice sheep, too

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:07:52 am »
I've got a pedigee Ryeland ram who crosses with my three mixed breed sheep and five Charollais, and he produces very good lambs.  He's good tempered and does his job well.  I'm sure you wouldn't have too much of a problem finding a suitable ram in your part of the country  :)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:45:41 am »
Thank you for the info!  My current ewes are mainly 2/3 charrollais, so it would be ideal if a purebreed ram could cover all the ewes.  I will go off and investigate.

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 07:35:04 pm »
Another question?  Thank you in advance.

What would the cost of a Ryeland ewe lamb or established breeding ewe be please?  I know the cost of commercial sheep but not sure where to find info on purebreeds?

I appreciate Ryelands will be more - a ball park figure would be great.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS