Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scabs around lambs mouths  (Read 6576 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Scabs around lambs mouths
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:23 pm »
Hello again - we have twin ewe lambs raised by mum who has mastitis in one udder. Approx 3 weeks old. Both lambs have darkish dry scabs round their mouth and nose and seem to be getting better. We are topping up at night and in the morning with lamlac. One of the lambs seems to be a bit off colour and so I have been doing a bit of digging and a couple of things come to mind that I would appreciate your thoughts on so here goes ( and please don't laugh)
orf - scabs are not red though and nothing on the hooves
joint ill - one lamb isn't as active as the other (wasn't always the case) and has a thick umbilical cord which hasn't yet shrivelled away and still appears quite big ( I hesitate to use the word swollen), i wonder if she has picked up an infection? She had double the iodine when born due to the size of her belly button.
Mum and lambs are separated from the flock.

Any advice on what else we should be looking out for and first steps on possible treatment would be much appreciated.    ???

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Scabs around lambs mouths
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:43:05 pm »
My thinking would be orf.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 10:08:41 pm »
I would go for orf too - we've had the odd bottle fed lamb with is - so the virus must be about but so far (touch wood) only the odd occurrence - it will heal naturally but keep an eye on things
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 10:14:46 pm »
Presumably then we should still keep these three seperate from the rest of the flock. Is it painful for the lambs - should we jab or use sudocream (looking at earlier threads). Fishy ???

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:54:33 pm »
I'd look at images on the net of orf to make sure. We've had lambs get scabby mouths/noses from generally being nosey in spiky hedgerows and investigating the odd thistle we've missed on the paddock. It definately wasn't orf. If it IS orf then be aware of transfer to the ewes good udder when they suckle. Don't know quite what action you should take on that one. Hopefully someone with more knowledge out there?

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 11:09:09 pm »
And we should mention to anyone who's following this thread and doesn't know orf is contagious to humans.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 11:22:12 pm »
If it is orf it's highly contagious and humans can also get it - my  hubby caught it off one of our cade lambs!  It presented itself as a sore on his hand but did clear up eventually.

The lamb who had it totally lost his ability to baaa and now (even though totally recovered) cannot baa properly, he kind of croaks!  :D

You can get Tubbies (licks) specifically for controlling orf.

I can't remember what treatment we gave the affected lamb, might have been iodine based??  But he did recover albeit passing it onto another lamb who didn't get it as bad.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 11:18:39 am »
We have washed with Daz and sprayed with Septiclens and also sprayed with dry iodine spray.  Some sheep seem to respond better to the Daz and Septiclens approach and for others the dry iodine spray has been the answer.  You will probably do better with Septiclens on the udder if it is orf and it won't do any harm if it isn't.  Orf loves wet conditions so the aim is to dry up the affected areas.  And isolate until you are sure either way because if it is orf it will pass to others.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 06:53:21 pm »
Sounds like mild ORF which is healing. If you are worried about the lamb then an injection is needed ,please speak to your vet :farmer:

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 07:45:59 pm »
Thanks again. Think it is orf from images off the internet. One lamb with orf completely fine - the other laying down a lot and definately off colour. Taking a tiny bit from the bottle. Will speak with the vet. Thanks all.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »
i would not worry to much. your other sheep will get it. just watch it does not become infected. just wear gloves when handling them.

RichStaffs

• Joined May 2012
  • Stafford
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:48 pm »
Hi, I used to have problems with orf. You can vaccinate, but I have found the best preventative are lumps of red rock salt placed in field, all stock will lick it and full of minerals too. Not had any orf for the last 3 years.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 08:31:57 pm »
Well today our problem lamb seemed very sore, laying down the majority of time and when she walked - oh boy -did she look like she was suffering. Phoned vet who thought she had contracted something via umbilical and I picked up some anti inflammatory and antibiotics. An hour later she was springing around! :thumbsup:

For the orf we have just sprayed the affected areas with the foot spray stuff to prevent infection.

All is now calm - lets see what tomorrow brings.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS