Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A bad start  (Read 2567 times)

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
A bad start
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:00:36 pm »
My first ewe lambed a week early yesterday and when I got to her, her tiny ewe lamb was breach.  It was a swift assisted delivery but the cord had already broken.  Ewe is devastated and I am too.  My commercial crosses normally lamb on or after the due date but not normally early.  She is now retaining her placenta and the vet has prescribed some metacam and LA antibiotic and told me to keep an eye on placenta, as it may eventually need to be pulled.

I had been checking them last thing at night and again at 6am.  However, as I cannot take any chances, I am now back on 10.30, 2am and 5.30am watch before doing the school run.  I was hoping not to start this routine until the end of the week as it normally lasts for 3 weeks......

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: A bad start
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:13:05 pm »
I'm sorry  :-*

It's often the way that the start of lambing isn't great as the early ones are early for a reason......but then things improve.

Can you find an orphan lamb for your ewe locally - is there a lamb bank?

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:54:19 pm »
I guess I am too late to find an orphan lamb now.  Most of the farms around us have huge lambs galloping around their fields. An old ewe has taken the mum under her wing and stands next to her, comforting her.
But you are right, the lamb was small, so definitely early for a reason.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 04:05:28 pm »
Whereabouts are you?

Yes, there are some big lambs around here but also some folk at the tail end of lambing....

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:26:10 pm »
Hants/Surrey borders.

Not sure how long after a birth, a ewe keeps her milk going before she dries up?  If an older ewe has a multiple this weekend, I might see if it is still possible to foster a lamb on to her but assume that if she has not been feeding her hormones will drop.  Not sure what the window of opportunity is in these circumstances.??  In hindsight I should have drawn off her colustrum and frozen. :(

I have successfully wet fostered twins that were rejected by their mother after a caesarean delivery but do not have a fostering crate etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS