Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: spray questions  (Read 3237 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
spray questions
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:09:23 pm »
Maybe someone can give me some advice here - on recommendation I now bought Gential violet spray (bactakil) and anti-pecking spray which smells as if it is tar based. The latter I have used once on one bird which made no difference to her endless featherless state so pecking might not be the issue. I was surprised that on none of the bottles was a warning on egg-withdrawal. How am I supposed to use the Violet spray? on the bird or in their house? There is no clear instruction on the bottle (other than use once and don't get it on skin  as harmful to it  :P) and I definitely don't want to harm my birds.... :chook:

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: spray questions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:31:14 pm »
If any of your birds get a cut just dab or spray on the violet spray.  Chickens are attracted to red and will keep pecking at any cuts so it's best to cover it with the spray which also has antiseptic properties. 

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:53:50 pm »
Maybe someone can give me some advice here - on recommendation I now bought Gential violet spray (bactakil) and anti-pecking spray which smells as if it is tar based. The latter I have used once on one bird which made no difference to her endless featherless state so pecking might not be the issue.

Do you have a cockerel? Often an over-amorous cockerel can result in feather loss in the hens by the act of his spurs digging into the hens sides as he tries to balance - if the feathers are missing on his back and sides, this is the most likely reason. If she looks like she's suffering there are saddles you can buy (yes, really!) which give the hen some extra protection. You could also try trimming the cockerel's spurs just a touch.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:10:32 pm »
Thanks! Spray applied although I fail to see that it's much of a different colour than her back was before....
Birdie, I'm not sure if it's our boy's fault as he doesn't seem to favour her. It just seems a complicated prolongued moult, maybe some beasties?
If all else fails the saddle must be it  ;D ;D Maybe there's a crafty person on here who'd be willing to make one for her (Size small  ;D ;D) :chook: :&>

Mel

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:28:33 pm »
Hi Northfifeduckling,
have you also tried using Nettex Mineral powder?-not spice,along with your gentian etc?This is really excellent for helping them recover from a moult or feather loss,I would not recommend anything which I would not use myself.The results are fantastic,just sprinkle it in with their feed daily or weekly and it is surprising just how much difference it makes :)

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:35:40 pm »
Thanks! Spray applied although I fail to see that it's much of a different colour than her back was before....

Is the correct gentian violet spray for poultry or are you using something else?  You would really be able to see it as it's very purple so it covers up any redness and it's impossible to get off of your hands too so it's best to wear gloves if you spray it on.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:07:10 pm »
oh dear....says nowhere on the bottle but the supplier said I bought the one for lambs...thanks everyone!  Back to anti-pecking spray until the other arrives :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS