Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How big pig ;D  (Read 3488 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
How big pig ;D
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:18:03 am »
Hello my friends. I have just reconditioned a sow arc, before I cut the door and reinforce the surround I need the approximate height and width of a fully grown Tamworth. If I get it wrong it will be a huge pain in the posterior to re-do the job....so your help would be appreciated.

Morgan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: How big pig ;D
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 06:50:29 am »
Carole who posts on here would be able to give you that info, Ill ask her.  However would recommend you make it big enough to allow yourself reasonable access, for strawing, checking a sick pig (hope you never have to do that one) etc. 

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:58:46 am »
For cleaning etc, I can toss the arc i.e roll it onto it's roof, it's based on a half circle. I'm 6'5" and I could comfortably crawl around inside it with enough room to semi stand. It really is big. Size of door isn't really a factor, once it's big enough.

Morgan

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 01:34:24 pm »
Morgan,

Our Arcs are a pent roof design. In an older one the lowest height was 3'6", this was raised to 4'3" when our biggest Tamworth boar pushed the roof off from inside. The entrance to the Arc is 30" and there's no bother with him coming in/out, just make sure that the sides of the entrance are strong enough to withstand a good rub - we use 3x3 timber uprights as the "door frame" and the most they have rubbed off them is 3/4".

Cheers

Gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:01:05 pm »
Thanks Gavin. If i got that right 30 " high and wide? Ya can email or pm a response to me.

Morgan

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:02 pm »
Morgan,

30" wide but allow for at least 4' in height. Typically our entrances can to to 4'6" in height but we tend to keep them in/around 4'. Bear in mind the need for you to get in yourself when needs be. I tend to take portable Tv for when the missus is on the warpath (it's bigger than the dog house !).

Cheers

Gavin

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 03:22:26 am »
Lol, you've no idea how many friends have said similar 'It's better than the dog house!'. I just got another old pig arc to recondition today, I completely strip and rebuild them. It's time consuming but rather enjoyable when you see the finished product. That makes three arcs (one more on the way, please God) and a good solid farrowing shed. Not bad all in all. I must post a pic or two of them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS