Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearing - technical question!  (Read 6657 times)

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
Shearing - technical question!
« on: April 30, 2012, 10:27:24 pm »
Any shearers out there, I am planning to have a crack at shearing some of my Greyface Dartmoors.....but.....I use a Heiniger clip on battery, motor in handpiece clipper to do them. How many cutters/combs will I need to do about 20 adults and 20 odd lambs?
Ta muchly in anticipation!  :thumbsup:
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Shearing - technical question!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:42:36 pm »
I use the same bit of kit, I watched you tube to figure out how to do them.
Not quite up to Philip the Singing Shearer standard but they get done.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 07:44:04 am »
Hi,

You will need more combs and cutters if you are on sandy ground, Greyface Dartmoor wool actually blunts combs quite fast.
For 20 sheep I would  think you will need 3 combs and 6 cutters at the most, it always pays to have too many.
One thing I will say is on my shearing machine I have a safety clutch for stopping the handpiece if barbed wire or something blocks the cutter, Greyface Dartmoor wool is the only thing that has caused it to slip.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Philip :sheep:     

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:05:42 am »
Last year our GFDs lambed in January - not something I ever want to repeat - and were sheared in mid-May by which time the lambs needed shearing as well (April was hot n'dry last year).   Our shearer did a dozen sheep and lambs in about 40 minutes and I reckon he changed cutters once.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:08:40 am »
That's a mountain of a task you are taking on Hazelwood!!
Best of luck, I hope it goes well and you are able to stand up straight afterwards  :thumbsup:

Out of interest, what do you do about shearing the sheep and lambs you are showing in June?

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:14:48 am »
Last year our GFDs lambed in January - not something I ever want to repeat - and were sheared in mid-May by which time the lambs needed shearing as well (April was hot n'dry last year).   Our shearer did a dozen sheep and lambs in about 40 minutes and I reckon he changed cutters once.

Wow! That's really quick for GFD's. Our shearer is slow and steady but I would far rather he is like that than rush the job and inadvertently cut the sheep in the process. I know GFD's are a pain to shear and I don't mind paying a bit extra for the shearer to take his time if it means that the sheep don't get nicked in the process.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:27:45 pm »
He's a "local" New Zealander and something of a character with strong views on sheep which you are going to hear.  But reliable and very capable.  No blood was spilled, a marked contrast to the commercial cross we sheared ourselves.  I guess the first thousand you shear are the hardest but my back ain't up to it..

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:58:27 pm »
Impressive - does he venture up Derbyshire way?

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 02:54:53 pm »
I usually shear the show team after the Royal Bath & West (beginning of june) by hand, leaving a little on (not too much or it grows back awful). My first show of the summer is mid july, and they are nicely woolled by then. I usually have the main flock sheared about now including lambs, but the weather is so catchy i'm going to start with the rams & shearling ewes (13 sheep) and hope the weather settles to get the shearer in for the ewes and lambs. If not, I will do them a few at a time when the weather allows.....not looking forward to the collection of brambles some of them are sporting though! Thanks for the cutter/comb info Phillip, i've got 2 combs & 4 cutters so will get a few more  :)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:55:50 pm »
I usually shear the show team after the Royal Bath & West (beginning of june) by hand, leaving a little on (not too much or it grows back awful). My first show of the summer is mid july, and they are nicely woolled by then. I usually have the main flock sheared about now including lambs

So what would your advice be for shearing adults & lambs for shows in mid-June - I'm considering possibly doing the Cheshire Show 19th/20th June.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 04:33:18 pm »
Ignore that last request - I've just read the schedule and it says the sheep are to be shown shorn.
I can't believe the entry fee - £9!  I think I'll reconsider.....

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 06:07:49 pm »
Impressive - does he venture up Derbyshire way?

I think he's a local phenomenon.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 06:12:06 pm »
I usually shear the show team after the Royal Bath & West (beginning of june) by hand,

I live within walking distance! If you fancy a cuppa and a bbq for tea you are more than welcome to pop over away from the madness when you are there :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:25 pm »
Haylo, I would shear asap for that show.
Colliewoman, do you visit the show? pop by the sheep lines and say hi! Thanks for the offer of a cuppa....it does get mad at times!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 09:21:50 pm »
If I can I go every year and have done since a child :wave:
I used to help my friend show her sheep there too ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS