Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I? Could I? WillI? - Become a smallholder  (Read 8730 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Re: Should I? Could I? WillI? - Become a smallholder
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 12:47:31 pm »
or he may well dispatch and dress them in return for keeping a couple or a dozen eggs!!! no money need change hands

does he have a butchers shop? he might be happy to sell the birds/eggs for you and you've simply need to drop the live birds off for him and pick up a cheque in return.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 01:25:25 pm »
Perhaps this should be a new topic, however has anyone else experienced "rescuing" animals getting them back into good condition only to see the person who dumped them go out and spend a fortune buying a new pedigree whatever?   >:(

Yes, I have seen this with dogs.  However, I can certainly appreciate what Castlefarm says about being viable.  I think if I had a few acres I'd probably have a combination - some animals for food production, but take in waifs and strays to a certain extent too.

I actually am combining the altruistic with the capitalist in my character and I think i may have got Rosemary onside today too.  My ex battery hens needed a lot of TLC when I first got them last September - they got that from the chaps who built my conservatory - feeding them every worm they dug up when preparing the foundations! ;D  They didn't know how to drink from a dish, nor peck around on the ground, had few feathers, crops were hanging, combs pale and floppy, but within a few days they were picking up and I now get 4 eggs each day from 6 ex batts, not a bad return, but I've discovered I'm underpricing - thanks for the heads up, Rosemary ;)  And they are soooo friendly!  So I make some money from them as well as having rescued them from slaughter and a living hell.  There IS a compromise.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 03:29:32 pm »
I agree that smallholding and animal rescue is not the same, but for many of us it may be interlinked. I was growing my own for years and had plans for the future to get hens. Then we were asked to take on these ducks that needed rehoming or they would face certain death. Literally another accidental smallholding...Since then we do have our own eggs & manage to sell enough that the birds earn their keep. We've also given a cat a new home. I'd love to have more animals, but can't really afford to keep them for charity only and I do need to go away occasionally. On the other hand I can not kill (or have it killed so far) any animal I've fed, looked after, and cared for, although I do refuse to give them names!
I love it that there are so many different approaches to this kind of life and they all work.
Lizmar, keep your enthusiasm - that's what we all have in common and what keeps us going - and good luck with whatever you decide! :&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 03:57:22 pm »
If you feel you have some space to give a rescue animal a home - even a temporary one - then you should have a look at the Rescue Helpers unite forum

it is a collection of animal rescues from all over the country - they have pooled together to arrange transport, fostering, rehoming etc.

i've seen them rehome battery chicks, dogs, cats, hamsters, rabbits, ponies - i'm sure there is loads more.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 09:41:01 am »
I wasn't criticising the rescuing animals just the thoughtless ex owners.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS