Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rats moved in!!!  (Read 1846 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
rats moved in!!!
« on: April 30, 2012, 08:23:43 am »
WE seem to have some rats who have decided that they want to move in!  Feed is stored in sealed shed with galvanised doors so that isn't a problem but we have some bottle fed lambs who are in the stables and it seems with the bad weather and chicken feed (at meal times) and lamb creep (at meal times)is prooving too tempting.  I have seen two (I think) during the day which is not a good sign.  we have dogs so baiting is a worry.  Our terrier has already got two on seperate occassions but he is a newbie so hos kill rate isnt great.

We live in devon near okehampton so does anyone know of people with terriers who offer ratting services.  we used some nce in oxfordshire and it worked a treat.

Advice appreciated as we have a toddler who comes out to feed the lambs and chooks and i worry if he falls what he might be falling into!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: rats moved in!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:30:32 am »
I hate rats.  We've put down bait boxes.  The poison/food is accessed by a sort of tunnel into the box which allows the rats access but not our dogs/cat/chickens.  Seems to work.

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:41:30 am »
problem is if we bait and dogs find one (on 4 acres we cant see everything) then they would eat it!  hence trying to find some terriers who want a work out

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:08 pm »
If you join this forum http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/ im sure you will get more response,hope this helps.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:19:31 am »
Could decoy them to bait under a low light and shoot them at night. You will only get one a night but they come out just after dusk so you won't wait long. I used to do that until I discovered Fenn traps -no good if dogs are going to sniff them though. Bury them in rat runs and cover with a heavy tunnel like a ridge tile.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS