Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost ear tag  (Read 4141 times)

nealeholl

• Joined Feb 2009
Lost ear tag
« on: April 14, 2009, 03:37:02 pm »
One of my three pigs has lost her ear tag that she came with - is this common?
I'm a bit concerned 'cos I know the abattoir will require them to have some identification. Should I get a new ear tag (if so where from??) or is slap-marking preferable? (if so where from and how!?)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Lost ear tag
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:31:00 pm »
Living in France its a bit different.  I never ear tag because a certain sow has been known to eat the tags off the ears.  (Definitely an acquired taste).  I slap mark before I take them to the abattoir.  Perhaps you could phone your local abattoir and ask if they will take them slap marked, ours will slap mark for you if you dont own your own.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:45:05 pm »
Our abbatoir accepts pigs under a year old with a mark!, any mark really!. Could be only a spray on the back of the head, but as long as it has a mark, its fine.

I'm in Scotland, that makes a difference!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:45:59 pm »
Isnt it good when people use common sense !

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:35:35 pm »
Hello,

You could get replacements from Fearings (www.fearing.co.uk) but this would work out expensive for one pig (unless you'll be breeding). Best bet would be to ask the breeder to send you a replacement one in the post or ask the Abattoir what id they want.

Cheers

Gavin

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:07:50 am »
A paint mark is fine here - one of ours lost his tag (eaten, we think) and he went with a splash of red paint.

DavidnChris

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 10:35:22 am »
The abattoir I'm going to use (Cumbria UK) insist on a metal tag, I used Ketchums  www.ketchums.co.uk and got 30 metal tags, the tool for putting them in and postage for £31.19 that was the best all round deal I could find.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS