Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's the possible cause?  (Read 3449 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
What's the possible cause?
« on: April 28, 2012, 08:56:13 pm »
My neighbour lost one of her ewes yesterday - she had given birth two weeks ago and was down in the field -when we got to her she was scouring and fitting and frothing at the mouth. She tried Calcijet but no luck. A sheep friend of mine told me today that it may have been magnesium deficiency? Can anyone shed any light? Horrible to witness and feel I must learn from this.... 

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: What's the possible cause?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 09:10:58 pm »
Magnesium deficiency, AKA "grass staggers" - basically in this kind of weather the grass grows too quickly to pick up enough enough of certain minerals, leading to a deficiency in the sheep  :( They can't build up stores in the body so have to have enough each day.

Calciject has magnesium in it, so your neighbour did the right thing, just too late by the sounds of it (not a criticism - it happens so quickly)

Get some mineral licks in the field, apparently they don't like it "undisguised" so it needs to be in a mix with molasses and other goodies.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 09:42:51 pm »
Yes, sounds like staggers to me too  :P

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 09:51:49 pm »
You can get Magniject too, specifically for grass staggers (same way of administration as Calciject), and I have a bottle of it in my med's cupbpard. Only used it once so far... but I alos have a "high Magnesium" lick in the field for the ewes post-birth. Some of them take it, most of them not. It last at least a couple of years for my smallish flock.

cotty

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:06:54 am »
Sounds like staggers it comes on very Quickly Especially with the mixed weather were having at the minute. The Grass is growing Rapidly.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:46:47 am »
You can get all kinds of licks to help with certain deficiencies around lambing time, these have a good range Tubbies
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 04:55:39 pm »
Thanks all. The knacker man picked it up yesterday and he is of the same opinion but will try and confirm when he opens it up!b We have a hi energy tub in with our ewes so hopefully should avoid this. I think the most suprising thing was the speed of the first symptom to the ewes demise. Leaves little room for error...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 07:00:34 pm »
Thanks all. The knacker man picked it up yesterday and he is of the same opinion but will try and confirm when he opens it up!b We have a hi energy tub in with our ewes so hopefully should avoid this. I think the most suprising thing was the speed of the first symptom to the ewes demise. Leaves little room for error...

post lambing you are better off with a special High Mag lick, they are usually in blue tubs.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:02 pm »
I use a high energy bucket per lambing and a hi mag bucket after, the make isDallas Keith. It's the best I've found, value and it lasts and they love it.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 09:50:53 pm »
Thanks again - it's on the list for next year.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 09:56:01 pm »
Yesterday a friend thought his favourite, elderly ewe looked poorly - called out the vet who diagnosed magnesium deficiency.  Friend found ewe dead in field first thing this morning, it happens very quickly.  The flock are on very good grass.  Lesson learnt.  :( :(

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 10:01:28 pm »
There is soooo much to learn. Two years in and I still feel, and am, like a total beginner... ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS