Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Left over fruit  (Read 2320 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Left over fruit
« on: June 10, 2012, 02:12:19 pm »
Ok so I've been brewing for a few years now (very slap dash homebrewing but the results are generally quite good). And I'm getting annoyed with myself over the amount of fruit that goes in the compost once the wine has gone into the demijohn. Has anyone ever done anything with their 'waste' fruit? Would it be usable in baking once the yeast has been killed off? Or sauces? Any suggestions welcome. I've got over 3lbs of cherries and a load of elderflower that i've just heated in a pot that I might try a sponge with.  :fc:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

deepinthewoods

Re: Left over fruit
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 02:30:53 pm »
well i brew sometimes, but i wouldnt call putting it in the compost a waste, good compost, well made, is a thing of beauty and a source of neverending joy. or something!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:40:56 pm »
Yep I suppose that is true. Problem for me is that we've never lived in a place long enough to actually make use of the compost, so I'm yet to view it that way!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 06:58:28 pm »
Pigs ? or compost.
Our pigs loved the pressed apple waste when we made cider but were mad for the waste from the next stage of cider making. They ate cherries and plums returning for the stones after stripping the flesh of the fruit.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS