Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hatch day  (Read 4135 times)

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
hatch day
« on: April 29, 2012, 02:51:49 pm »
ok guys and gals so its d-day for my pekin ducks they should start hatching today my incubator stoped turning 2 days ago yesterday the first one hatched but since then no sings of life havnt been able to candle them as one of my dogs has hidden my candling torch so after today how long do you guys think i should wait i have hatched many eggs but never pekin ducks any one have any experience with these my call  ducks always hatch pritty fast

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: hatch day
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:59:44 pm »
Never hatched ducks only chickens but is your humidity level high enough?  Could they be stuck in their shells?

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:58:06 pm »
ok out of 22 pekin duck eggs i have had 1 hatch 18 full formed dead ducklings anf the rest infertile not a good hatch

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:04:06 pm »
Does sound like you might haves had problems with humidity to have so many dead in shell. If they are too dry they get stuck in.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:26 pm »
According to Brinsea late stage death in shell can be attributed to too high average levels of humidity. The average humidity needs to be 45%-55% for waterfowl and 65% for hatching. I have found it harder to keep humidity up for my geese eggs, they are thirsty little beggers. I haven't had any trouble with chicken eggs. Poor results can also be attributed to the health of the parent birds. What incy have you been using? Some people experience problems with cheaper, foreign ones. You can also get problems with really dirty eggs and washed eggs. Sorry you didn't get better results.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:09:36 pm »
r com 2o pro its a year old and this is the first time i have had a bad result with it . I have been hatching eggs for years never had so many deaths the one that did hatch is doing well boneded with my partner wont leave her side

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 11:04:28 am »
Problem firstley the r com is not suitabul for call or peakin duck ,yes they will hatch some but not meney, the old man asked me to have a go last yare att some calls very hard .we have a r com i tried 3 incubaters they are hard to hatch the brinsea still air was best no fan and water filled from day 1 very cheap to pic up .iff you got 10 you would be doin well. Think off this 1950 to late 60s there was onley parrafin incubaters and 70 percent hatch? Naw we have all the kit but that dosent garantey that itt is better .iv used them all i have a marcelis the best on the market steve next doore has a wine fridge from the tip home made naw his cost 70 pounds mine over 1000 same lot off eggs, we put in a full lot off eggs from my stock he had 70 percent hatch i had 76 .so meney things to get right temp some hatch dry etc.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 11:13:37 am »
As well as health of parents, a major factor, the diet plays a big part I believe. Fed on layers the shells are too thick to break easily, which is what you want for eating eggs. We put ours on a mix of rearer and layers 3:1 to keep the calcium levels down when we are collecting eggs for hatching.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 01:12:07 pm »
Really sorry to hear about your disasterous hatch this time.

How frustrating  ??? :-\
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 07:21:17 pm »
well iv come to the conclusion my best incubators are my muscovey ducks and my buff orps both have just hatched eggs out. also i have never had a problem with hatching call duck eggs must be luck

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 09:16:01 pm »
The broodis will hatch them att a better rate than the incubater.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS