Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'cow pat' type poo  (Read 4996 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
'cow pat' type poo
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:40:40 am »
Puffin who kidded 5 weeks ago is passing what can best be described as cow pat type stools. They are lighter in colour than usual but still brown (milky coffee rather than chocolate if that makes sense!)  and they are sort of firmish but definitely not like little balls of poo.
She's been grazing wet grass - could it be something as innocuous as that or could we have a problem looming? She's drinking well, and I've filled her hay up to try and keep her more to the hay than grass. Shall I knock down her evening concentrates?
She's feeding her own kid still. No udder problems  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: 'cow pat' type poo
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 12:03:00 pm »
Wet lush grass I'm guessing.

Rowan made these when I went and cut a lot of branches from the hedge for her. I guess I overdid it (hard to believe I'd ever go over the top about anything  ;)) so I cut down a bit and she's back to normal now.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 12:33:27 pm »
Thank you for the reassurance  :)  I know I'm always having a panic about something - I think having 2 die with scours has made me uber paranoid about poo now! the neighbours see me looking up sheep and goats bums every day  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:01:00 pm »
yep, too much of something - in your case,grass
(not yours, Puffins!)

we can tell when we've given them too much molassed concentrate... I'll leave the description up to your imagination!
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:29:14 pm »

we can tell when we've given them too much molassed concentrate... I'll leave the description up to your imagination!

Sometimes I wish I didn't have such a good imagination.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »
When has she last been wormed? If not since her kidding I would worm her too... however, when mine are out on the wet grass atm, poos go definitely softer and less pellet like... so it may be just that. If she also gets a concentrate ration she will be quite high on her proteins, that leads to softer stools.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:14:11 pm »
Hi Anke, she was wormed day after she kidded. Her poo looks better today after a day of reduced concentrate, lots of water and hay. I must learn to stop worrying all the time, I really must!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 09:40:06 pm »
You won't stop worrying.. I haven't yet!

It is actually quite difficult to get the ration right when the grass is so fresh/new and full of good stuff! And they do like like coat racks at the moment (the two that had triplets) anyway  :o

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:28 pm »
Oh, I'm glad someone else's goat looks like a coat rack. Rowan is a bag of bones and Elle ate for three and only had one, so is a great lardy lump still  :) Oh well, Rowan at least is eating and Ellie will slim down when I start milking her.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 07:31:32 am »
Puffin is looking a bit bony indeed and she's only feeding the one. Now Savannah throws her annual spanner in the works and I find myself trying to balance her feed without encouraging more maiden milk. Good old Reggie remains the only constant here  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS