Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Large plastic, wire-framed water storage boxes  (Read 2871 times)

wren

• Joined Dec 2011
Large plastic, wire-framed water storage boxes
« on: April 28, 2012, 02:56:15 pm »

Hi Has anyone else had problems with the large, white plastic containers which are used to import food colouring or grape juice and then sometimes sold on as a water storage containers for stock.

I bought one recently and the moulded butterfly tap valve broke off on the second time of using. I returned it and got a replacement, this time with a removable tap valve, but on rinsing it out I find that there are deposits of mouldy juice on the inside which are very difficult to remove,

robert waddell

Re: Large plastic, wire-framed water storage boxes
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:17:12 pm »
old age with plastic and the react to sunshine that makes the plastic brittle also they are used for chemicals which can also affect them :farmer:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 05:45:11 pm »
Thing about plastics Wren is not 'will it fail?' but 'when will it fail?' as fail it will. As RB says sunlight plays a part and to resist that effect plastics are pigmented black or dark colours. The other thing is ozone in the air, high near the coast. Also, as said, what was in it, which can cause 'environmental stress cracking' which basically is any area under load will crack, like the tap. In this case it is probably ESC from the contents or something spilled on or used to clean it.

Can you get a pressure washer into it from the filling point?

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:15:21 pm »
Yes, but half a dozen black IBCs cost me £200 and are dead easy to install next to the drainpipes.   Dunno about longevity but there's no sign of problems after 5 years, and I can afford to replace them many times for the price of a big tank I've got nowhere to put.

For cheap flexible water storage they're unbeatable. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS