Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding ewes and not lambs!  (Read 2926 times)

woollyjumper

• Joined Jul 2011
Feeding ewes and not lambs!
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:25:36 pm »
Any advice on how to feed ewes concentrates without having all the lambs trying to eat out of the trough? - I understand that ewe pellets are not good for lambs, particluarly tup lambs as they can cause bladder stones and urinary obstructions in males. We have 7 ewes that have lambed 1 to 3 weeks ago and we are still feeding them some concentrates although they are on fairly good grass now and not taking much hay. The lambs all try to eat the ewe pellets if they get the chance. We are currently resorting to feeding most of the ewes from buckets (good to make them easy to handle!!)  but we are rapidly running out of hands and we still have 2 ewes still in the pre lambing paddock so it will be chaotic when they are added in too!! Any suggestions?
This has been our first lambing for our Shetlands and Ryelands so a sharp learning curve but very enjoyable!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Feeding ewes and not lambs!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:43:29 pm »
We use a coarse mix which is suitable for both ewes and tups so the lambs can eat it too - they just nibble.  It's made by Carrs, used to be called Tup & Lamb coarse mix, now is 'Champion Tup'.  It's great for the primitives as it doesn't have the very high protein levels of ewe pencils, and is perfect for after lambing too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyjumper

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:54:03 pm »
Thanks - that's really helpful (but guess what - I just bought a new bag of ewe pellets today!!!) I will be off to Carrs tomorrow to get a bag of the coarse mix so I can use that in trough.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:37:43 am »
We use coarse mix as well.  Most suppliers I know do two grades.  One around 16% protein and the other around 18%.  If you don't use creep feeders (and I am terrified of horns getting stuck so I don't) then it is also a great way of getting the lambs started on hard feeds as the smaller pieces are fine for them. 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:43:20 am »
Yes, I use coarse mix too, 16%, the lambs start to nibble at it and I also think its a good way to get them eating hard food.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:18:34 am »
If you have plenty of grass, just stop feeding them. Problem solved.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS