Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lemon balm  (Read 17492 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Lemon balm
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 11:36:32 pm »
Thank you everyone.  I eat a lot of fish so will start using it when cooking.  Lemon balm cake sounds delicious.  Hope you find the recipe.  As a hot drink, I mostly have hot water with a slice of lemon infused in it so I'll try it with lemon balm.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 08:35:23 pm »
so as a result of this thread i had a good look round the site to see if we have some. sure enough we do!  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 09:40:20 pm »
hmm...wonder waht lemon balm wine would taste like........
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 09:52:51 pm »

if it is anything like limoncello i'm in!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 11:30:59 pm »

If you make some, I'll be happy to give my opinion.   ;D

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 11:47:14 am »
Our medical herbalist friend told us to sort my wife's stress related conditon out she should drink lemon balm tea made by soaking the fresh young leaves in hot water. By co-incidence a new cluster of 'weeds' had started growing by the gate. Turned out to be lemon balm! The sheep loved it and they were always pretty relaxed -now we know why.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 08:18:47 pm »
It can be a thug in good soil so mind where you plant it! ;D ;D  We are forever digging it out and chucking it in the compost bins.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 10:46:28 pm »
It is very good at tempting a rabbit in gut stasis to start eating again alongside the appropriate drugs.
Also I find a steam inhalation very soothing when I get a cold.
It can help with mild depression and is a good stress reliever too.
The oil mixed 50% 50% with lavender and rubbed onto the temples is the fastest cure for a headache I know of.
Dried and mixed with lavender again will send you to sleep in a blink if you put it in your pillowcase.
It's lovely in Pimms too :yum:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 08:08:37 pm »
Dried and mixed with lavender again will send you to sleep in a blink if you put it in your pillowcase.

oooh, I'll try that..
... only 5 more sleeps til Christmas for insomniacs like me! ;) :D
Little Blue

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 03:42:13 pm »
Lemon Balm is amazing!! at the risk of repeating other posts;  it makes fab tea; great for calming nerves, its great in salads, with fish or chicken, great replacement for lemon grass, its great in a rub for bbq-s, a great skin cleanser - apparently, and if you add it to lemon drizzle cakes you'll be amazed!! It also has great healing properties so if you suffer from hayfever so can be used as a dicongestant or antihisthamine. personally though, we use it most in Pimms  ;D

deepinthewoods

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 04:04:41 pm »
hurrah, god save the queen!! :wave:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 08:39:53 pm »
might try some tea tomorrow, could do with chilling out!  :D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 09:26:59 am »
As it's the mint family (some books call it lemon mint) it often can be used instead. I just made mint syrup with half lemon balm - nice! I like the tea better than mint  :&>

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 10:52:22 am »
A big bunch under the tap whilst you are filling the bath is lovely too )AH I miss my bath only a shower at the moment!!)

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 11:13:25 am »
I'd be lost without it - Chuck a good handful in a wok with chicken / fish & stir fry it with course ground black pepper, Even the kids love it!!
Colliewoman... I'll give it a go when I have an out of sorts rabbit, that's always handy to know!
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS