Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant Ewe scouring - UPDATE  (Read 8223 times)

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
Pregnant Ewe scouring - UPDATE
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:39 pm »
One of my ewes has started excessively scouring overnight - really badly.  She is due to lamb next week and is elderly.  She will not eat anything today but was eating happily yesterday.

I am about to drench her for fluke.  Have given her some ewe boost and liquid life aid and will repeat the life aid at tea time.

I have popped her outside but she will not touch the grass either, even though her elderly companions are munching away, she just stands there looking at the grass but not eating.

I am going to pick her some ivy and stock up on calcijet just in case she needs some.

Is there anything else I can do to tempt her to eat?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:29:25 pm by Emmam »

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Pregnant Ewe scouring
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 06:06:32 pm »
I've just been through this! A good tip if she won't eat ivy roll the leaves and push between back teeth, mind your finger though! She will eat it this way, use the liquid life aid undiluted, 2-4 times a day, it's good stuff. Pick hedges think sheep, twigs with new leaves on willow etc. worm her and jab anti biotic, just in case of infections,  I drenched with probiotic drinks too. Good luck keep us posted.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 07:47:01 pm »
I had a ewe scouring really badly, and just sitting there in a pool of poo. She lambed the next day, so keep an eye on her just in case  :-\

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 07:48:58 pm »
Mine cannot resist elder at this time of year, might be worth a go?
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:14:45 pm »
Thank you!  She has eaten a couple of ivy leaves, off now to pick her some elder before it gets dark!!  When you say probiotic drinks, do you mean those yoghurt drinks for humans or something else? ???

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:10:52 am »
Yes I used actimels, she rather liked them, but only a couple a day, I liquified porridge oats and actimel, and drenched her with it.

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 10:03:30 am »
Thanks Dixie.

She is up and outside this morning, tentatively picking at a little grass but without much enthusiasm.  She very much liked the elder last night but not this morning.  I will pop out and buy her some actimels later then. 

toaster

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 11:24:01 pm »
I've never heard about the ivy trick, thats a good one to remember

I have a ewe in the same boat at the moment, I have given her some glucose solution (from the vet) and also a product called Avipro which is great stuff, its a probiotic powder, I use it mainly for the poultry but it works for most animals/birds  :)

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 09:53:36 am »
Thanks toaster.  Will look into Avipro, it would make sense to have some in the cupboard in case one of the hens needs some as well. Good luck with your ewe. 

Bertha (she has a name and her daughters are named but the rest are not!) really likes pickings from the hedges and verges eg elder, dandelions etc

Luckily the vet told me to stock up with life aid but I will need to get some more from them as we are going through it rather quickly.  I fed her porridge last night with some natural yoghurt and she has stopped scouring.  Still not herself but I managed to get her to her feet and she was tentatively licking the bucket lick this morning.  Husband has gone out for some more twin lamb drench, so we will keep plugging away with her.  I was dreading checking her this morning as she is our favourite ewe  and we had already decided to retire her before this episode.

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Pregnant Ewe scouring - UPDATE
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 07:31:13 pm »
An update on Bertha - she lambed unassisted this afternoon.  I watched from a distance and she did a great job - two lovely ewe lambs - welcome to the farm, Bella and Blossom, I think you are keepers. :love: :love: :love:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 07:32:26 pm »
Thats wonderful news! Made my day!! :thumbsup:

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 07:37:22 pm »
Thats wonderful news! Made my day!! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much lachlandmarcus.

PS Did I see on another post somewhere that you have a Haffie.  I do too!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 07:41:25 pm »
Delighted to hear your news  :thumbsup:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 07:59:28 pm »
Keep an eye that she continues to eat, hopefully now she's lambed shell be ok, but don't assume ( sure you wouldn't of course) but I had a few nightmares the last 2 weeks!

LOCHBYRE

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 09:14:31 pm »
Phew, great news  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS