Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding ewes post lambing  (Read 2558 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Feeding ewes post lambing
« on: April 25, 2012, 06:57:19 pm »
I have fed my ewes on a flat rate schedule as I only have 9 and don't scan, it's always worked for me. However this year we have then highest amount of lambs, 19 out of the 9'ewes.  The ones still inside ( due to weather) I figure 1kg per ewe per day, plus excellent hay, the ones outside have ok grazing, not long and lush but enough, however I am still feeding concentrates, I'm guessing 0.5-1kg per ewe per day, they also have a hi mag bucket. have I guesstimated correctly? Grateful for any advice from those in the know!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Feeding ewes post lambing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:18:56 am »
Sounds ok - confirm using condition score. If you can feel their spine very easily, they're thin, up their rations.  If they're rolling fat, cut back on the concentrates.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS