Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rain ?  (Read 7080 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Rain ?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »
We have had torrential rain today, fields are like swamps full of,puddles and we are uphill slightly, I was thinking how to quickly erect a makeshift shelter, but the lambs are all tucked up against the fence by the hedge, some under a little trailer, I am impressed that they actually find shelter if need be! Who said sheep are stupid :sheep:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 08:02:10 pm »
If the lambs are really small, and can't get out of it, then lambmacs are a good idea in awful rain especially if accompanied by strong winds as here at the moment.

Here are someone here's GFD lambs wearing them  ;D

(Sorry, can't remember whose photo it was to attribute it properly)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 08:42:18 pm »
Well, still torrential here. Have opened all gates so they have access to two shelters and our trailer. We have thick hedges and they are so tiny they do tuck into the roots and are difficult to even spot so I am hoping they will be okay. Hope Im fretting too much and they are hardier than they look. Just remember a farmer telling me that wet was far worse than cold. They look bright considering and seen the smallest ones feeding.

Those coats make me smile.  ;D    Do they do xxxsmall size?   If this weather continues may have to get some.

Will need to be transparent though. Havent seen any lambs around here sporting them and local farmers already think we are slightly crazy. They love to lean on the gate and ask .... what do you call those then? .....big grins on their faces  ;D  ;D  ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 08:45:01 pm »
You can get transparent ones too. Or hereabouts some folk use bread wrappers  :D

The photo made me smile so much I saved it  :love:

If your tinies can get into shelter, they'll be fine. Yes, I've opened the gate from the nursery field into the barn and they are all, very sensibly, inside again tonight.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:46:56 pm by jaykay »

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 10:30:18 pm »
Guilty for the photo!
I lamb in jan/feb so always put macs on the little hooligans as it is always wet and cold. I have many pics of my lot in macs, they 'burst' out of them within a week so don't stay in them for long.

Lambs will seek shelter where available, but twins becoming separated could be an issue.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 08:22:27 am »
That is toooooooooo sweet.

Would take him to bed for a cuddle.

Okay. Heavy rain all day yesterday and cant believe it ....... worse this morning!!!!   It still looks like nightime.

Drought????  Doing regular checks on lambs and hoping it stops soon or the brook which now looks like a mini-river may burst its bank and cut off two of the fields.

Hope everyones lambs are doing okay and SteveH hope your ewes hold on for a while.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 08:38:50 am »
That lamb is soooooo cute!  :love:  I've also got lamb macs but most of mine are too big for them now.  We had non-stop rain all day yesterday and today it's worse  >:( >:(.  Mine are all out but when I checked them they were all against the hedges and seemed fine.  The horses are thoroughly fed up and their field is a quagmire, as every time they spot me they think I am going to let them into the sheep field and start running up and down and trashing the field even further  ::) ::).

Got one more ewe to lamb and hope she hangs on till the rain eases, although she does have a sheep shelter and so far most of them have lambed in it!
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS