Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Enid has kidded!  (Read 3859 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Enid has kidded!
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:27:25 pm »
Finally, though a bittersweet time for all.
First off comes a lovely strapping billy kid, on his feet in minutes.
However Enid couldn't settle so after waiting a while, I went in to see what the problem was.
All I could find to start with was a tail and bum :( After what seemed like an age, I was able to deliver the kid as breech, but I had been dead for days by the look of it and was ENORMOUS, a real tight squeeze for poor Enid.
Really long teeth too?
Anyway, she has had a shot of Betamox, and a shot of pain relief (am so glad the vet lives just up the lane so could get the meds pronto.
Bedded everyone down in a snug deep bed of straw and having watched the kid suck have left them be for a few hours. I am just grateful the live kid was presented first!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Enid has kidded!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 09:29:24 pm »
Oh  :-\

Well, I'm very pleased she had a live kid to love and she's doing ok - that you could get her the meds she needed.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:32:48 pm »
Funny though, I'm sure she knew before the second one was delivered, she never looked at it or for it and went straight back to her first born.
So she's sore, but at least she isn't grieving, and we have one good healthy kid :love:
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:35:20 pm »
ah, bless her.
congrats on the little boy, you and Enid :)
Little Blue

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:46:05 pm »
Sad to hear Enid lost a twin  :bouquet:

Glad to hear she has a healthy strapping lad to mother   :thumbsup: and that she is doing so well despite her ordeal.

suzanne@waterfall

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bruff, Co Limerick
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:09:45 am »
So sorry to hear about the little twin, but glad she has one fine healthy boy to love and mother.
Suzanne.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:52:10 am »
Hapy to hear all ends well - i wander why it was born so big and with such big teeth, does this happen alot? Our pip looks like she will kid in the next few days, and hoping its not a breech, are there any pointers you could give after your experience on this?

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:19:03 am »
Sheep or goats, the year seems full of sad stories,  such a shame . At least the mum is OK.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 12:10:04 pm »
Given the number of disasters I have heard of this year I would count a strong live kid as a cause for celebration even though it is a pity about the twin.  Well done Enid.

Glad she is doing well - you really are lucky to have a vet nearby!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 03:39:04 pm »
Hapy to hear all ends well - i wander why it was born so big and with such big teeth, does this happen alot? Our pip looks like she will kid in the next few days, and hoping its not a breech, are there any pointers you could give after your experience on this?

No idea as to why the teeth were so big, one of those things I expect :-\
As to tips, I wouldn't worry about breech as such, but this one was bum first and ALL legs pointing inwards.
If you do think you need to help, scrubbed hands short nails and be very very gentle. I always make sure I cover the toes before bringing feet forward and go very slowly between contractions.
Once the kid is in the correct position, chances are the nanny will then be able to deliver it herself, if not I go for firm steady pulls whilst the nanny has contractions.
Antibiotics and a painkiller are a must as far as I am concerened after a traumatic birth, though I know many that don't use pain relief ;)

The main thing I would think would be if in doubt call the vet, but 99 % of the time all will be well ;D :thumbsup:
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 11:19:09 pm »
Congratulations to Enid.  My kid last year came head first and we just couldn't find the feet.  Called the vet  after she had been in labour for some time but he was 30 minutes away and she had managed byh the time he arrived.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 11:38:50 am »
WOW, she managed to kid with no feet presented? :o
I think I need to start panicking less, though there is no way Enid would have managed on her own.
I wonder why this year has brought so many problems for so many people at birthing time?
I have never had to assist a single one of my own animals before yet this year it has been 2 in a row?
They are very cute though, so am very pleased despite the loss ;)

It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS