Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice for a newbie  (Read 4143 times)

Phyllis

• Joined Apr 2009
Advice for a newbie
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:25:07 am »
Hi...I'm thinking about getting a few chickens though i'm limited for space so i'm only going to be able to get a couple i think, though i suppose it all depends on size of coop and breed..

I can't decide on whether to make my own coop (which knowing my diy skills may be a bit rickety) or would buying an already made one be preferable ??

Unfortunately as much as i'd love to have completely free range birds due to space/environment i'm going to have to have an enclosed pen. I've seen this for sale and it would fit well into my garden.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150321987712

Would this be big enough for a couple of birds ??

I'd like to get good layers though i'm quite keen on getting a more unusual breed.. Gold Laced Sebright

The only chickens i remembered us keeping as a kid where Marans,Bantams,Some type of old game bird...

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Advice for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:47:13 am »
I've got that pen myself and think it's terrific  :)  The run part of it isn't big enough to keep the birds in on a daily basis: we ended up building an additional run around the coop because the poor things were in that wee run for a couple of days and were just claustrophobic, but for roosting and laying the coop itself is absolutely grand.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:47:41 pm »
That's a great coop!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rlucas

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 03:27:04 pm »
If you want eggs - a Gold Sebright won't be a good choice.  You could have 4 or 5 bantams in trhe coop you've looked at - if one or two of your bantams were Sebrights, the rest could be Australorps and / or Sussexes for eggs.  Marans bantams lays about 4 good size brown eggs a week, as another option.

Phyllis

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:11:30 pm »
Thanks for the advice...with regards coop i'm mulling over another idea to give the chickens more space ......i have an old shed that would be where the coop would be going.Initially was going to move to another part of the garden but as i'd like a larger shed thought i might be able to convert it into a coop and would also enable me to have a larger run. Would there be any specific modifications i would need to do ???
If you want eggs - a Gold Sebright won't be a good choice.  You could have 4 or 5 bantams in trhe coop you've looked at - if one or two of your bantams were Sebrights, the rest could be Australorps and / or Sussexes for eggs.  Marans bantams lays about 4 good size brown eggs a week, as another option.
when you say bantams produce a good size egg how does the size differ to other breeds ?? what is a good layer ??

flipflopper

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Where my kids need to be
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:32:18 pm »
I thought about that type of coop and i'm sure they work well but if you look at the wood it is a very soft wood. although treated  you will need to treat again before use.

In my opinion you would best rest that type of coop on bricks or some sort of hard standing as leaving this wood on damp soil will rot it very quickly.

i've bought this coop

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHICKEN-COOP-HOUSE-DUCK-HEN-RABBIT-POULTRY-COUP_W0QQitemZ270352837111QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry?hash=item270352837111&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1686%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

again it is of a soft wood but i've treated it and the legs have a plastic shoe which will help prevent rot. i will also stand it on bricks in the enclose/run i've made.

the added bonus i feel with this coop is i can transport it to my mums or inlaws and include a smaller run for when we are on holiday

by the way i ended up paying just £92 with delivery for mine rather than the £124.99 quoted there

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:37:43 pm »
I bought a 6 x 4 garden shed from Focus - special offer £95 delivered.  My son and I put it together, and on a stone base.  We have put vinyl on the floor, bigger than the actual floor so comes up the sides about an inch all round for easy cleaning and hosing down, added round poles for perches and a drawer for a nesting box. A pop hole was cut in the door so they can come in and out as they please and shut in at night.  Painted the perspex window black to stop the cockerel crowing too early.  Built a larch lap fence all round with a gate - about 36 feet by 18 feet, presently now a sea of mud over type 1 hardcore but sharp sand coming soon to dry it up a bit.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:57:56 pm »
That coop on your link looks great, Phyllis. I've seen 4 birds in a run this size (they can't have them free range or they would be dead birds in no time in the woods). For 2 birds it would be fine, if they've never known real freedom of roaming...:&>

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:00:31 am »
Hi.  After reading all about these coops and the fact that I want to start my new smallholding with chickens - I thought they looked perfect, BUT - I live in Ireland and none of the above deliver here. 

Is there anyone out there who knows of a company that either delivers in Ireland or is in Ireland - slightly off the point, I have the same with clothes, furniture and anything else I used to order in the UK - help!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS