Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which vehicles to get?  (Read 18418 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: which vehicles to get?
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 06:07:07 pm »
So! What do you think of the RAV 4 idea ;)

Alas: for on road use: Rav4's are not tax exempt/cheap to insure for occasional use and have a towing limit of 1500Kg not 3500Kg, so I still think the series landy is the better option.

Sadly a series landy cannot legally tow 3500kg either, only defenders, discos and range rovers.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 12:56:05 pm »
So! What do you think of the RAV 4 idea ;)

Alas: for on road use: Rav4's are not tax exempt/cheap to insure for occasional use and have a towing limit of 1500Kg not 3500Kg, so I still think the series landy is the better option.

Sadly a series landy cannot legally tow 3500kg either, only defenders, discos and range rovers.

Really?  I know they're not plated with towing capacities, but I thought they predated the restrictions (bit like my being able to drive a 7.5ton lorry 'cos I took my test in' 88).

m

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 02:21:53 pm »
All manufacturers publish recommended maximum towing weights, braked and unbaked, for their vehicles though I don't believe there's any agreed methodology for arriving at them.  Different engines and transmissions can make a lot of difference within the same range - from 1800kg to 2500kg on one current car

The gross vehicle weight and the gross train weight, vehicle plus trailer, will be on the VIN plate.

It is very unclear to me which law(s) you break by exceeding manufacturers recommendation but if you have an accident it will be persuasive with both the old bill and your insurer as to whether they cuff you or cough up.

For decades the caravan club has suggested cars should not to tow above 85% of their weight, and definitely not more than 100%.  There's no law behind this but single axle trailers are susceptible to snaking while I defy anyone to provoke that with a twin axle Ifor Williams
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

robert waddell

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 02:39:56 pm »
small farmer      take a landrover 90 that can legally tow 3.5 tons but does not weigh  more than that
tractors they all have plates indicating weight that can be towed  some are up to 32 tons but the legal limit is a gross weight for 24 tons approx  a big disparity
single axle trailers are no more prone to snaking that twin axle ones a single axle trailer with the axle at the rear will not snake    an ifor williams DP 120 g correctly loaded with a small noseweight will snake at below the legal speed limit for towing        more nose weight and it will sit there at well above the motorway max speed and sit there like a rock  :farmer:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 03:46:28 pm »
Robert, like I said the caravan club is guidance anyway and the law's confusing as always in agriculture. 

Hand manoeuvring a single axle trailer is easier than a double axle trailer because the two axles create two possible centres for any turn you want to make.  So if you swing it around the rear axle the front tyres will have to slide sideways to keep up.   That resistance to yaw make the twin both more stable at speed and easier to reverse in a straight line
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

robert waddell

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 03:58:21 pm »
and tri axle even more stable  but more suseptible to scrubbing single axle  farm trailers are the easiest to reverse     the hardest is a trailer with a turntable on the front  :farmer: ;)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2012, 08:28:51 pm »
Hi,
We were going to buy a llandrover

Hi,
We were on route to look at a Landrover when we saw a Mitsubushi L200 4work for sale. We ended up buying it and are very glad we did instead of the Landrover. Very versatile with the rear hard canopy that comes off,halfway to being comfortable,reliable and not to bad on the fuel if driven right (31mpg). depending on which landrover you went for you will find yourself needing a trailer to do a lot of jobs because the top won't come off!!

Cheers Fishy

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS