Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moles - dead or alive????????  (Read 2573 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Moles - dead or alive????????
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:08:04 pm »
I had a moment of deja vu this afternoon.  I may have told you the story of Clyde retrieving a mole, the mole squirming round and bit his lip and held on, Clyde screaming the whole of Aberdeenshire down, Gigi coming from nowhere grabbing Mr Moley, squdging it and bringing it back to John!

Well, today,  Allez suddenly got up, raced to the utility room door and in his usual fashion jumped up and started to open the lever handle.  I pulled him back and opened it a crack to see what he was at and there it was - one ginormous black sleek shiny mole scrabbling about in MY utility room!  ::)

I quickly shut the door again to have a think, knowing full well not to go too close or pick it up in case I, Hester or Allez got the same treatment as Clyde had.  I gingerly opened the door again, shut it behind me with a very firm and loud STAY to both dogs.  Got the sweeping brush which was fortunately handy, opened the outside door and SWEPT the mole outside, and down the steps onto the gravel.  The thing then started to dig into the gravel - bloody fast too! 

At that point I started to feel sorry for it, it had been through quite a lot of trauma at that stage already, after  being retrieved by a cat, dragged in through the catflap, dumped on the cold floor, threatened by a dog, swept by a brush-flailing wumman, but I'm still not daft enough to pick it up - not even in a box - I have seen how fast they move.  So, it was back to the brush. I brushed him out of his hole in the gravel and rolled him across the drive and up the little stone verge to the grass under the leylandii.

So in one fell swoop I - saved my dogs from a nasty injury, saved myself from likewise, got the mole outside without harming it, reinstated it into it's home environment, reinforced the dog's 10 minute sit stay, cursed the cat!  That Rio is a menace - a mouse in the study last week and a mole in the utility room today - so what next?  An elephant in the Lounge? ;)  I do hope he kills it first! ::) Even moving a dead elephant would be better than moving a live mole! ::) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:10:14 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

Re: Moles - dead or alive????????
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:17:40 pm »
wait till you get a live , very p*ssed off RAT......they shift .... :o makes me shudder just thinking of them .. yuk yuk yuk ....

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:42 am »
at least you can say you closes to nature lol

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 04:44:48 pm »
Last year one of cats single-handedly demolished the mole population around our house. We've not seen any sign of them since!! This is despite our strict instructions to her to kill the rats and leave the moles! She just won't listen....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS