Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feather pecking  (Read 2688 times)

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
Feather pecking
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:32:05 pm »
It seems that over the last week our black speckedly is pecking the bottoms of our two warrens, running off with the feathers and eating them.  I have read a number of comments in books about this and despite us having quite a lot of space, a plentiful food supply and some hanging cabbage and carrots to play with this is happening. After much observation it seems this being is now being ostracised and spending a lot of time on her own which is also sad to see.   I am going to try some anti-pecking spray and am also considering now separating the two warrens.

We were planning to gradually let our new ex-bats meet their neighbours shortly but with their new feathers growing I am sure this may not be a good idea if the feather pecking continues.

Any advice from anyone who may have been in a similar position?

Thanks

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Feather pecking
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:40:42 pm »
Cull it before they all start doing it. Once the victim start showing blood she will be pecked to death.
Do not allow the bird to suffer feather pecking.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:54:58 pm »
Nettex spray works if regularly applied, but its a difficult habit to break Heather. We don't like using Nettex because the poor victim(s) can't preen without getting a beak full of it. Wherever possible we remove the pecker (if its just one), keeping her in a separate run and coop alongside the others for several weeks. Sometimes it won't break the habbit and she is despatched. Can be caused by boredom from too small a run and not enough scratching material. A feed of dry mash can keep them occupied for hours picking up all the pieces, raher than spending a few minutes getting their fill from pellets. This has worked for us sometimes. Can also be a protein deficiency from cheaper feed -try some chopped boiled egg, sunflower hearts or maggots/ mealworms. Should be at least 15% protein in the feed for layers.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:09:08 am »
Two options in my experience:

1) Cull her. It's a nasty habit that is hard to break and others may copy.

2) Use a feather pecking spray. It smells BAD so be warned - it is really hard to wash off your hands/clothes. Has to be smelled to be believed just how bad the stench is.

In the meantime if she has drawn blood on any of the other birds they will need to be isolated as the other chickens will be attracted to the blood and the poor girls will suffer.

Hope all goes ok for them.

:farmer:  :chook:

Heather B

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Llangwm Corwen
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 04:48:09 pm »
Have separated her today but she is not happy about it and I am really not sure I am happy about culling although again, it is not fair to leave her alone for the rest of her life! So still not sure what to do - have also got the anti peck stuff to try but again you can't watch them every minute of the day to see what they are up to!

Anybody out there want a feather pecker???????

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 05:04:02 pm »
Maybe being separated will break her of the habit and you wont need to worry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS