Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Injections.  (Read 8191 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Injections.
« on: April 12, 2009, 07:21:36 pm »
Our lambs were three weeks old and should have had their jabs but I have been bothered with my back. Anyway Thursday I picked up the stuff when I was buying feed and decided to do the job that evening. My OH went quite pale when I suggested that he did the job, no way, he would catch them but sticking the neddle in was my job. Just as well men do not have the babies eh girls.  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Injections.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:54:44 pm »
I have to admit I'd be wary - but then i've never been shown how to do it.  Once a vet showed me I'd be happy to tackle that, but I think you are right - John would have left me to it.  He couldn't even hold the puppies when I clipped their nails
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:45:06 pm »
three weeks old? what are you trying to jab them with?
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:35:32 am »
three weeks old? what are you trying to jab them with?

My thoughts entirely :o
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 01:11:39 pm »
I think you can vaccinate with Heptovac from 3weeks of age.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:38:06 pm »
That's what we were doing, they get their 2nd dose in 4wks time.  :)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:39:32 pm »
heptavac p can be used in lambs from a minimum of three weeks. Were the ewes given boosters before  lambing? If so, them you might be better to wait to vaccinate the lambs until they are a bit older as they will still have sufficient protection passed on from the ewe before birth and through colostrum.

A lot of people don't vaccinate lambs at all but wait until they know what they are going to keep as breeding stock.

We started vaccinating, with Heptavac - plus, all our lambs two years ago ( but don't do it until at least the end of May when the oldest lambs will be about 10 weeks old) as we had a problem with subclinical pneumonia causing poor lamb performance.

Unless the ewes weren't vaccinated there is no desperate hurry to do the lambs. If the ewes weren't done, make sure they are done in time for next year.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 08:48:02 pm »
Had a chat with my vet just this very week about vaccinations and his advise was to do anytime between 3-8 weeks, after that the ewes protection that she has passed onto the lambs is just about exhausted and that can then materialise in the little nasties rearing their ugly heads in the lambs which is just what you don't want.

If in any doubt contact your vet, he or she are there to help you keep your animals in the best of health.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 04:51:35 pm »
Our 4 lambs are being hand reared and it was on the advice of my vet that we injected now. We do not have any ewes but when I did in the past all were injected. I have also been told by my feed merchant that my lambs will need to be done for blue tongue before the end of this month so need to check with the vet on that one. He says its the law in Scotland but not England which I find very strange.  ???

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 07:26:34 pm »
its all to do with devolution!

Lambs need to be one month old to vaccinate for BTV8

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 09:07:55 pm »
Did my first two injections EVER today (lambs first HepP) - quite pleased with myself!   Wasn't sure if I could do it but vet demonstrated first then held lambs while I had a go.   He's now left me with the vacc and syringe to do their next one in 4 weeks time.  Considering I was a complete wuss about putting in ear tags on a lambing course earlier this year didn't know if I would be able to do it - but I did!  Blue tongue to do in between in just under two weeks (has to be before 30 April in Scotland) then 2nd HepP a couple of weeks after that.   Out of interest vet said not to bluetongue and Hep P at same time and having the 2 week gap between Hep P and bluetongue is ok.  Lambs will be about 12 weeks when they get bluetongue vacc.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 12:49:00 pm »
I was looking for advice on injections as there seems to be different thoughts on to inject or not, but it seems the same applies on here. I phoned our vet and she told me they would generally be vacinated at 4 & 6 weeks, but i e-mailed a friend to see if she had any spare and she asked me why was i vacinating when they were going to slaughter in autumn! Not sure what is best now, it is costly to vacinate although i have discovered that countrywide sell the vacination at a much less cost than the vet!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 11:23:25 pm »
We never vaccinate anything before it is 8 weeks old. The immune system doesn't really develop well enough until then. Why else do you suppose puppies and even human babies don't get vaccines until they are 8 weeks? My mother will be amazed this is the advice vets are giving now- she had it drummed into her when she did her veterinary training that it should be 8 weeks.

I agree with VSS, if the mothers were vaccinated prior to giving birth, they I definitely wouldn't vaccinate until 8 weeks old.

Beth

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 09:26:50 am »
Well our four lambs are now in their summer paddock and looking very good indeed. No longer on milk but pellets and eating well. Keeping the neighbours children very amused, piglets ariving Sunday.  :)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS